Wins for Fuerty, Glavey’s, Pearses and Gaels


Hodson Bay Hotel SFC Round-Up

Group A

A winning debut!

Fuerty 1-13  

St. Croan’s 0-8

Fuerty’s first game in the senior ranks was a winning one at Mulhern Park as the home side were far too good for a disappointing St. Croan’s team. Niall Kilroy was once again the Fuerty talisman scoring 1-8 of his side’s total. Kilroy scored a fine goal towards the end of the first quarter and by half-time Fuerty led by 1-8 to 0-3.

  In the second half Croan’s were improved but Fuerty had already done the hard work and they coasted to victory. Richard Thompson was accurate from frees for Croan’s but they could only manage two points from play.

Scorers – Fuerty: N Kilroy (1-8), D Heavey, P Neilan, C Murray, G Ennis and B McGahon  (0-1) each. St. Croan’s: R Thompson (0-6), D Malone (0-2).

Group B

Glavey’s deserving winners

Michael Glavey’s 3-5   

St. Faithleach’s 1-10

A converted penalty in the 5th minute of injury-time from Dylan Carbery narrowed the margin to just a point but it masked the fact that Glavey’s were the deserving winners of this contest at Mulhern Park.

  Glavey’s were impressive as they held on to the ball well and scored three fine goals which were decisive. Andy Glennon and Cian Ruane got those first-half goals and at half-time Glavey’s led by 2-1 to 0-4 against an out of sorts Faithleach’s.

  When Dylan Ruane grabbed Glavey’s third goal in the third quarter they were in the driving seat. Despite some good finishing from Diarmuid Murtagh and Carbery, Faithleach’s struggled to get scores and now they face a ‘must-win’ game against Roscommon Gaels this weekend.

Scorers – A Glennon (1-1), S Comer (0-4), D Ruane and C Ruane (1-0) each. St. Faithleach’s: D Murtagh (0-5), D Carbery (1-0), D Hussey (0-2), B Murtagh, G Carbery, D Rooney (0-1) each.

Group C

Pearses strike late!

Pádraig Pearses 2-10  

Boyle 0-11

Two late goals saw title favourites Pearses edge past Boyle at The Abbey Park. For Boyle it was two valuable points thrown away as Paul Carey’s free and Hubert Darcy’s shot deep into injury-time were the decisive scores for Pat Flanagan’s men. The opening half was well contested and at half-time Boyle were three points to the good.

  Carey and Emmet Kelly were playing well for Pearses but Boyle kept their noses in front with Donie Smith and Cian McKeon on song with frees and with Enda Smith and Kieran Cox doing well, it looked like the home team would prevail until those two late dramatic goals decided the issue.

Scorers – Pearses: P Carey (1-4), H Darcy (1-2), E Kelly (0-2), S Ryan and S Fahy (0-1) each. Boyle: D Smith (0-5), C McKeon (0-3), E Smith, D East, and M Hanmore (0-1) each.

Gaels punish Clann

Western Gaels 1-14  

Clann na nGael 0-13

Western Gaels were the deserved winners against the champions in Johnstown. Short a number of players such as Ultan Harney, Fergal Lennon and Jack Connaughton, Clann struggled to contain the lively Gaels attack in which Cathal and Finbarr Cregg and Tommy Gill were very impressive.

  Finbarr Cregg got the Gaels goal in the opening half and despite playing against the elements they were only a point behind at the break 0-9 to 1-5.

  In the second half Gerard Nolan’s side were impressive as they kicked a string of fine points to run out the comfortable winners.

Scorers – Western Gaels: N Higgins (0-5), C Cregg (0-3), F Cregg (1-0), K Higgins and T Gill (0-2) each, D Moran and J McDonnell (0-1) each. Clann: C Lennon and D Shine (0-3) each, E Kenny, and C Callinan (0-2) each, C O’Brien, D McManus, and S Pettit (0-1) each.