Victories for Eire Og and St. Dominics

Roscommon Herald Intermediate Football Championship  Eire Og                         3-11 Castlerea St. Kevins     2-9 Eire Og had five points to spare over a gallant Castlerea St. Kevins in Ballinlough last Saturday. Castlerea had come from five points down to level the scores with three minutes of normal time left but Ross Nolan (who scored a sensational total of 3-5) crashed home a goal in the 29th minute to propel his side to victory.   The first half was well contested. Nolan grabbed an excellent early goal to set Eire Og on their way but Castlerea were back in it after Giles McDonagh converted a penalty in the 24th minute. The Loughglynn lads were back in front in the 29th minute when Nolan struck for a fortuitous goal to leave it Eire Og 2-4 Castlerea 1-5 at half-time.   Nolan continued to terrorise the Castlerea defence on the re-start and by the 20th minute Eire Og led by five points. However Castlerea battled away and David Fitzpatrick scored a fine goal to bring his side back into it. Two quick points and Castlerea were level but it was fitting that Nolan had the final say, scoring an excellent goal inside the final minute of normal time to help his side into the semi-finals. Eire Og: R. Wynne; J. Carty, J. Greenan, D. Woods; M. Creaton, K. Johnstone (0-1), B. Corrigan; R. Doorey (0-1), P. Freeman; F. Nolan (0-2), B. Nolan, D. Flanagan; D. Morgan, R. Nolan (3-5), V. Walsh (0-1). Subs used: S. McDermott, B. Scally, J. Coleman, C. McKee (0-1).  Castlerea: J. O’Reilly; M. Connelly, D. Flannery, G. McElhone; E. Creaton, D. Creaton, N. Curran (0-1); P. O’Connor (0-1), P. Lavin; J. Mannion, G. McDonagh (1-4), D. Fitzpatrick (1-0); N. Flynn (0-1), B. O’Regan, N. Ward (0-1). Subs used: S. Hegarty, N. Collins (0-1).  Referee: Ollie Kelly.  St. Dominics            0-14 St. Ronans               0-7 St. Dominics were the deserved winners of this lacklustre IFC quarter-final played at the Orchard Park, Elphin last Saturday evening. Even though Ronans stuck well to the task in the first half Dominics upped the pressure in the second half and they ran out the comfortable winners.   The first half was very low-key. Kevin and Mark Healy kept Ronans in touch while Michael Finneran was the dominant force at midfield for Dominics, alongside Liam Murray.    At half-time Dominics led by 0-6 to 0-4. Dominics improved on the re-start and they pulled away from Ronans in the final quarter. Points from Conor Fallon, Niall Naughton and Michael Finneran in the final ten minutes saw John McGowan’s team pull clear.   Dominics now play St. Croans in one semi-final while in the other semi-final it’s Eire Og v Michael Glaveys St. Dominics: M. Miley; P. Naughton, P. Mulally, A. Grady; A. Naughton, A. Weir, T. Gately; L. Murray (0-1), M. Finneran (0-1); P. Dolan, N. Naughton (0-3), U. Kelly (0-3); T. Gilleran (0-1), C. Fallon (0-3), S. McKeon. Subs: B. Carney (0-2), A. Fallon. St. Ronans: K. McTiernan; D. Noone, M. McNamara, P. Cox; A. McPadden, D. McTiernan, E. Flynn; D. Killoran, K Ward; D. Kielty, M. Healy (0-4), M. McTiernan (0-2); J. Noone (0-1), K. Healy, G. McPartland. Subs: E. Noone, S. Sheeran, R. Healy, P. Martin. Referee: Marty Parker. * Roscommon Herald IFC relegation play-offs In the IFC relegation games played at the weekend Boyle scored an important win against Fuerty (3-8 to 0-7) while in the other game Shannon Gaels and Ballinameen finished all-square at 1-8 to 0-11. That game will be replayed on Saturday evening next.