Tulsk too strong for dogged Dom’s




Mulryan Construction IFC Semi-Final

Tulsk Lord Edwards 3-15

St. Dominic’s 3-8



After years of promise and near misses Tulsk have finally got themselves into the intermediate championship final after a hard-fought but ultimately comfortable win over St. Dominic’s last Sunday evening in Elphin. Tulsk had to show serious resolve at certain stages to overcome a brave Dominic’s display but they will hope that this test will stand to them when they meet Oran later in the month.

  Nobody in Elphin on Sunday could’ve predicted what was about to happen in the opening few minutes of this contest. Dominic’s knew they would probably need a couple of goals to stand a chance of toppling the pre-match favourites and they stormed into this contest in the opening stages.

  In the first minute, a long ball was sent in towards full-forward Naos Connaughton and his shot found the net. Shortly after, Dominic’s landed another serious blow. Tommy Hurley received the ball in space, drove right at the Tulsk defence and hit a rasping shot past Tulsk goalkeeper Reagan Fahey to leave his side ahead 2-0 to no score after just over two minutes of play.

  Tulsk struggled in the opening quarter but they will have to be very thankful to centre-forward Thomas O’Rourke who hit their first five points (two frees) of the game and this helped settle the rest of the team down after the early Dominic’s blitz. It was generally a tense first half with both sides making needless mistakes at certain stages.

  The sides exchanged points after the twenty-minute mark through Cathal O’Rourke for Tulsk and a pointed free from the reliable Conor Fallon for St. Dominic’s. Tulsk would land a blow to the Dominic’s charge just before half-time.

  A strong run from Tulsk centre-back Gerry Galvin saw him hit a powerful shot from just outside the box and it flew past a helpless Mark Miley in the Dominic’s goal to leave Tulsk one up at the break.

Whatever Tulsk manager Gerry Lohan said at half-time it worked brilliantly for his side because there was a completely new intensity to Tulsk’s play in the second half and this could be seen from the very start of the half.

  Incredibly they did what Dominic’s did to them at the beginning of the game except this was an even more blistering start. Two goals in under two minutes from Jack Conlon and Robbie Kelly suddenly had Tulsk seven points up. The two goals were also followed up by two great scores from key men Padraig Scott and Tadgh O’Rourke.

  To Dominic’s’ credit they didn’t throw in the towel and they gave themselves a lifeline approaching the end of the third quarter. Two frees from Conor Fallon and Darren Donnelly came before Tommy Doyle managed to get the ball over the line after a goalmouth scramble to leave just four between the teams again.

  That was as good as it got for Dominic’s though as Tulsk reasserted their authority on the game. Five unanswered points from Thomas O’Rourke (2), Padraig Scott, Gerry Galvin and Timmy Fitzmaurice finished the game as a contest.  

  Dominic’s did add three further points to their tally through Fallon, Donnelly and substitute Daire Keenan but it was too little too late for them. Tulsk substitute Liam Cribbin rounded off their evening with a great solo score to leave them one game away from playing senior football in 2020.

Tulsk Lord Edwards: Reagan Fahey; Niall McNamara, Darragh O’Rourke, Stephen Lennon; Evan Flynn, Gerry Galvin (1-1), Ryan Galvin; Tadgh O’Rourke (0-1), David Coyne; Robbie Kelly (1-0), Thomas O’Rourke (0-7, 4 frees), Cathal O’Rourke (0-1); Jack Conlon (1-1, 1 free), Padraig Scott (0-2), Timmy Fitzmaurice (0-1). Subs: Callum Fahey for Conlon (39), Dara Jones for Coyne (48), Liam Cribbin (0-1) for Kelly (53), Daniel Connolly for Fitzmaurice (53), Fergal Moylan for Flynn (54), Richie Feeney for Thomas O’Rourke (57).

St. Dominic’s: Mark Miley; Michael Byrne, Michael Feeley, Sean Kenny; Anthony Naughton, Eoin McCormack, Brendan O’Meara; Ciaran Hunt, Paddy Fallon; Tommy Doyle (1-0), Daire Byrne, Darren Donnelly (0-2, a free); Conor Fallon (0-5, 3 frees), Naos Connaughton (1-0), Tommy Hurley (1-0). Subs: Kyron Dockery for Hunt (18), Declan Dowling for Naughton (half-time), Ultan Kelly for D Byrne (36), Daire Keenan (0-1) for Doyle (54), Michael Galvin for Kenny (58)

Referee: Brendan Beirne