Super Sweeney

Roscommon 4-19 Monaghan 1-8 As expected, Roscommon senior hurlers cruised into the semi-final of the Nicky Rackard Cup at Athleague on Saturday last. In a repeat of their group match a week earlier the result of this match was never in doubt.   They will play Louth in Drogheda in the semi-final on Saturday next at 7 p.m. A win here would mean an appearance in the final in Croke Park which would be live on television.   Monaghan had the worst possible start to this match when a Michael Kelly free from inside his own 65 was dropped over his line by goalie Michael McHugh. Tom Reddington and Colm Kelly added points from play followed by a long range free by Michael Kelly before Monaghan got their first score, a point from a free from Pat O’Connell.   Roscommon tacked on four more points from Gerry Fallon, Tom Reddington, Darragh Mulvey and a Shane Sweeney free. Monaghan scored two more points from Brian Phelan to leave Roscommon ahead by 1-07 to 0-3.   The home side began to stretch away at this stage with four more points by Tomas Lennon (65), Shane Sweeney (free) and two from play by Colm and Michael Kelly. Pat O’Connell pointed a free to notch Monaghan’s fourth point but Roscommon’s second goal ten minutes before the break finished the game as a contest. A sideline cut by Gerry Fallon found Sweeney completely unmarked inside the full-back line and he had the simple task of putting the ball past the goalkeeper.   Shane Sweeney and Darragh Mulvey added further points while Pat O’Connell sent a close range free to the net for Monaghan to leave the home side ahead by 2-13 to 1-4 at half time.   The second half was played out at a very pedestrian pace. Roscommon had early points from Liam Casey and Brendan Kelly matched by Monaghan’s Noel Morgan and Brian McGuigan.   After 16 minutes Shane Sweeney pounced for his 2 nd goal following a Colm Kelly pass. Sean Melia and Mervyn Connaughton added further points and then midfielder Tomas Lennon scored a great 4 th goal for Roscommon, having been found by a Brendan Kelly pass.   David Connolly and Stephen Lambe finished off the scoring for the visitors with two points from play while Sean Melia and Brendan Kelly sent the Roscommon scoreline up to 4-19 with late points from play.   Therefore it was a very satisfactory day at the office for David McConn and his selectors. They will be delighted that in all eleven Roscommon players scored and also that there were no injuries picked up with the semi-final only a week away. Roscommon: David Connell; Noel Cunniffe, Colm Moran, Michael Keaveney; Alan Cunniffe, Michael Kelly (0-2), Liam Murray; Mervyn Connaughton (0-1) Tomas Lennon (1-1); Liam Casey (0-1), Tom Reddington (0-2), Gerry Fallon (0-1); Darragh Mulvey (0-2), C. Kelly (0-2), Shane Sweeney (2-3). Subs used: Brendan Kelly (0-2) for Gerry Fallon, Pat Downey for Liam Murray, Leo Flynn for Alan Cunniffe, Sean Melia (0-2) for Darragh Mulvey, David for M. Keaveney. Monaghan: Michael McHugh; Conor McGinnity, Jim McHugh, Padraig Dowdall; Declan Crowe, Paul Murphy, Gordan Coleman; Brian Phelan (0-2), Stephen Lambe (0-1), Eanna MacSuibhne, David Connolly (0-1), Arthur Hughes; Brian McGuigan (0-1), Pat O’Connell (1-2), Noel Morgan (0-1). Subs used: Kenneth Feeney for Eanna Mac Suibhne, Eoin Greenan for Brian McGuigan, P.J Boyle for Noel Morgan, John Greene for Pat O’Connell. REFEREE: John Healy (Clare).