St. Peter’s still dreaming of treble heaven







Roscommon and District League Challenge Cup Semi-Final


St. Peter’s 1

Ballinasloe Town 0


Athlone club St. Peter’s remain on course for another treble after this narrow win against rivals Ballinasloe Town at Lecarrow on Monday. However, if Ballinasloe had taken even a couple of the many chances that they had in the first half it could have been a very different story.

  As it was, St. Peter’s relied on some great defending, more than a little luck, and the composure to take the chance to win the match when it presented itself to Mark Sherlock in the 54th minute.

  Played in glorious sunshine, Ballinasloe Town had the aid of a very strong breeze blowing directly downfield in the opening half and they totally dominated possession. Chances came and went as Peter’s dug in to defend.

  Darrell Flynn was wide from 20 yards in the 3rd minute and in the 16th minute Flynn’s effort was parried by Eoin Hardiman into the path of Liam Lynch whose shot was blocked. Then in the 17th minute Ballinasloe spurned a fantastic chance to go ahead when Mahmoud Ginima was clean through, but he elected to chip Hardiman and the ball dropped just outside the post. Aidan Dooney’s snap shot in the 26th minute flew just wide as Ballinasloe continued to draw a blank.

  In the 28th minute there was a lengthy stoppage after a clash of heads between Mike Lynch of Ballinasloe and Mark McConnell of St. Peter’s. Thankfully both players were able to continue after treatment.

  In the 34th minute Joe Woods’ cross was headed wide by Lynch as Ballinasloe continued to boss the game but they just couldn’t get the goal they needed as they prepared to face the breeze in the second period.

  St. Peter’s’ only shot on the Ballinasloe goal in the opening half came in the 3rd minute of injury-time when Mark Sherlock’s effort from 15 yards flew into the side netting. It was goalless at the break.

  Having dominated the opening half without scoring one feared for Ballinasloe when they had to face the strong breeze and those fears were justified in the 54th minute when St. Peter’s took the lead. Conor Duignan played a super cross into the danger area and Mark Sherlock rose to guide his header to the Ballinasloe net from 10 yards out.

  Ballinasloe kept trying hard, but it was an uphill struggle now. David Cullen’s super strike from 25 yards in the 65th minute flew just over the top but Peter’s were now in control.

  Lively Peter’s sub Jason Nugent had claims for a penalty turned down by referee Eugene Deering in the 84th minute when he was through on goal. But Peter’s were almost home and hosed and in the 4th minute of stoppage time Ballinasloe sub Cian Reynolds was red carded for a late tackle on Mark McConnell. It just wasn’t Ballinasloe’s day. St. Peter’s will now await the winners of Moore United and Boyle Celtic who play in the other semi-final this coming weekend.

St. Peter’s: Eoin Hardiman, David Donaghue, Conor Duignan (Jason Nugent, 72), Ian Dempsey (Brandon Lonbridge, 86), Scott Delaney, Niall Scullion, Daragh Concannon, Mark McConnell, Mark Sherlock (Paul Allen, 78), Gary Stephens, Mick Lee.

Ballinasloe Town: Padraig Maloney, Joe Woods, Declan Duffy, Mike Lynch, Des Hope, Davy Kelly (Cian Reynolds, 73), David Cullen, Aidan Dooney, Liam Lynch, Mahmoud Ginmona (Ryan Burke, 82), Darrell Finn (Mark Duffy, 65).


Referee: Eugene Deering