St. Peter’s FC complete double with four-star show



Joe’s Bar RDFL Challenge Cup Final


St. Peter’s FC 4

Moore United 0


St. Peter’s dominance of the Roscommon club soccer scene continued in emphatic fashion in Lecarrow last Sunday when they brushed aside the challenge of Moore United to land their second league and cup double in a row. Moore displayed plenty of effort and enthusiasm, but Peter’s’ superior class and skill were the difference and in truth they never looked in trouble.

  On the day that the league opened the magnificent new John Sherlock Stand at their headquarters in Lecarrow, there was a very good crowd at this cup final but it was one-way traffic for the most part. After they had spurned a number of chances, Peter’s opened the scoring in the 15th minute. The ball fell to captain Niall Scullion on the edge of the area and he curled a great shot inside the post to give his side a deserved lead.

  Mick Lee should have got number two a couple of minutes later but his snap-shot flew into the side netting. But Peter’s doubled their lead in the 20th minute. Adam McManus had made a good save from a Mark Sherlock shot but the centre forward picked up the rebound and squared for Gary Stephens who tapped in from five yards.

  Stephens missed another good chance two minutes later and Moore, who were living on scraps up front, had their one and only first half chance when Charlie Nevin’s flick was well saved by Eoin Hardiman. As it was, Peter’s were two ahead at the break and looking comfortable.

  Moore enjoyed their best spell in the first 15 minutes of the second half but they could make little inroads on the Peter’s’ defence, in which Niall Scullion was superb. Then the game was ended as a contest in the 65th minute. David Donaghue’s brilliant cross was met powerfully by Chris Reid who blasted the ball in off the Moore crossbar.

  Both sides emptied their benches in the last ten minutes and in the 89th minute St. Peter’s got their fourth goal following a calamitous mix-up in the Moore defence with sub Aidan Ward the man to pass the ball into an empty net.

  St. Peter’s manager Padraig Moran was full of praise for his players and what they have achieved over the last two seasons.

  “I could not be any prouder of these players. They are so professional. I was late coming in as manager but they have bought into everything that we are doing. They work so hard.

  “I have very good players to work with. A lot of them have played League of Ireland and at the top level in junior soccer and they deserve all the plaudits here today. We will celebrate this now and we will give the players a rest and we will get ready for next season again. It been a great season and it’s all down to the players,” he concluded.

St. Peter’s: Eoin Hardiman, Brandon Lowbridge (Luke Francis 70), Conor Duignan (Jason Nugent 56), Ian Dempsey, Niall Scullion, Chris Reid, Daragh Concannon, David Donaghue, Mark Sherlock (Keith Mullarney 89), Gary Stephens (Aidan Warde 86).

Moore United: Adam McManus, Reece Moran (Andy Hussey 85), Johnny Hession (Mike Carty 88), Steve Flynn, Shane Dunning (Eoin McManus 68), Rory Ryan, Gerry Kelly (Liam Ryan 68), Emmett Kenny, Andy Nevin, Charlie Nevin (Barry Johnson 88).

Referee: Gerry Carmody