Soccer Club notes

Rahara Rovers   Rahara Rovers made the short journey to Lecarrow on Sunday last for the local derby with St. John’s Athletic. The sides had not met in a league fixture since 2000, and the large crowd that turned up was treated to a great game of football, which finished all square at 2 all. Credit must be given to the grounds man who had the pitch in superb condition. Rahara were first to register a score when Luke Donnelly hammered home from close range to give keeper David Byrne no chance. Padraig & Gordon O’Connor were a constant thorn in the Rahara defence, as they crossed many balls into the Rahara box, all of which were dealt with by Martin Conneally & his back 4. Alan Craven did score the equaliser for St. Johns when a Rahara clearance ricocheted into his path and although he struck the crossbar with his first effort, he made no mistake from the rebound. Damien Donnelly had Rahara back in the lead 1 minute later after a great build up including John O’Keeffe and David Nestor, which found Donnelly who chipped the keeper from 7 yards out. Adrian Brennan came close for St. John’s when his header struck the crossbar following a Patrick Glennon free kick. David Glennon put in a superb display in midfield for Rahara and his shot was just wide in the 81st minute. Martin Conneally produced the ‘Save of the Season’ to deny Aidan O’Beirne a goal in the 84th minute. St. John’s got the deserved equaliser in the 90th minute when Johnny Devine found the top corner with a great volley. Most of the fans including Fr Morris (local priest for St. Johns & Rahara) seemed happy with a draw, while Ballagh man Leo Kenny said, "a draw was a fair result, but Rahara will be hard to beat in the Clover Park". Final Score: St. John’s Athletic 2 Rahara Rovers 2. Shiven Rovers It was the Shiven and Cloonfad double act at the weekend, as the A teams did battle on Friday night under lights in Killyan, while the respective B teams went head to head on Sunday morning.  On Friday, the honours ended even, following a 1-1 draw. The home team started well, and had the territorial advantage for the first 15 minutes, but then disaster struck. Goalkeeper Damien Lynch seemed to have little to worry about from a straightforward shot, but he somehow allowed the ball to slip through his hands and into the net. For the next 20 minutes or so, the Shiven challenge seemed to be derailed, but they came back into the game as the opening 45 drew to a close. There were half chances for the lively Peter Gilmore and Philip Heavey, but neither could force an equaliser. In the second half, the home team was the dominant force, with most of the play. As they pushed forward, however, they left gaps, which Cloonfad attempted to exploit, especially with their speedy forwards. Shiven did force a few shooting chances, with Shane Harkin connecting sweetly, but, every time they shot, they seemed to aim right at the Cloonfad goalie. Eventually, the pressure told, and Gilmore got the equaliser his team deserved, flashing the ball home from within the penalty area. Both teams tried hard for a winner, but neither succeeded, although Eoghan McDonagh did clip the angle of the Cloonfad goal with a speculative long-range effort. Shiven was best served on the night by Darren Carty in central midfield and Tomás Hannon up front, while Shane O’Connor and his brother Gearóid were effective in defence. Team – D. Lynch, S. O’Connor, P. Mannion, G. O’Connor, M. Killilea, D. Carty, S. Harkin, P. Heavey, E. McDonagh, T. Hannon, P. Gilmore. Subs: J. Devaney, M. Turley, J. Leahy.   Skyvalley Rovers Skyvalley Rovers travelled to Falty to play Moore United in the local derby. Both sides were eager to obtain all three points. Skyvalley was looking to continue their 4 match unbeaten run and Moore was looking for their first win of the season. Skyvalley started the better with the two young strikers David Grehan and Conor Duignan up front for Skyvalley causing the home defence some trouble. Conor Duignan lobbed the Moore goalkeeper only to see his effort go narrowly wide. Skyvalley dominated primarily the 1st half, however in the second half Moore made two very good substitutes Andrew Hardiman and John Greene. Andrew aided in the tidying of the Moore defence. Damien Caulfield gave Skyvalley the lead 15 minutes into the second half with a cross that found the back of the net. However as all Skvalley players know well when John Green is on the field the game is never over. With 10 minutes to go a long ball was controlled by John who turned the Skyvalley defense and had a low driving shot that beat Benny Lynch in the Skyvalley goal. The game ended with both sides sharing the points. Skyvalley Team: B. Lynch, P. Clogher, F. Costello, C. McDonnell, B. Croffy, Caulfield, D. Cooney, S. Glennon, B. Lennon, A. Grehan, C. Duignan, D. Grehan, G. Caulfield, F. Creavin.