The public in Roscommon Town is reeling from the shock news that the landmark Roscommon Post Office building at The Square is set to close over the coming months, with the service to continue under a new postmaster in a new location.
News of An Post’s plans to switch to a ‘contractor-run post office’ model stunned the local community when it broke last Friday. Staff had been informed the previous day.
Roscommon Post Office has operated from a historic building in the town centre for decades. It is now set to vacate that landmark premises in the coming months.
Outlining details of the changes, An Post said that Roscommon Post Office will shortly become a contractor-run post office. A spokesperson said it was likely that a new location for the services would be sought by the new postmaster once the tender process has been completed.
The company said the Roscommon Town branch will “join 95 per cent of the country’s 900-plus post offices” in this new business model. An Post has described this development as a significant business opportunity for prospective postmasters locally.
It is understood that existing staff will be given the option of applying for employment with the new postmaster, or being deployed elsewhere in the post office network.
The tender for the new contract will be advertised soon, after which a new postmaster will be appointed. The changes are expected to be completed over the next three months or so.
Speaking on the Joe Finnegan Show on Shannonside Northern Sound on Monday, An Post Public Affairs Manager Angus Laverty confirmed that the current Roscommon Post Office building at The Square is likely to be sold in the near future.
Local TD and former Communications Minister Denis Naughten has expressed his disappointment at the “potential closure” of the post office on The Square in Roscommon Town, following the decision by An Post to tender the services to a contractor.
“While this will come as a blow to the dedicated staff in the post office, there is also the risk that the new contractor will no longer use the existing building which could see the service moved elsewhere in the town,” stated Deputy Naughten.
“While I have been reassured by An Post that there is no threat to the existing services provided, the loss of a State-owned service in the town will, I believe, impede the potential expansion of services in the longer-term”.