SFC: How it stands


Pearses impress as Roscommon

Gaels get campaign back on track


Seamus Duke


Tulsk and Strokestown are out of contention to win the Fahey Cup this year after last weekend’s action in the Hodson Bay Hotel SFC.

Tulsk, last year’s intermediate champions, gave Boyle the fright of their lives in Strokestown before falling short by just a point.

Meanwhile, Strokestown fell victim to a late surge by a youthful St. Brigid’s side on Friday night (see report). Both Tulsk and Strokestown are now in a fight to avoid relegation.

Champions Padraig Pearses continued on their winning way with a hard-fought three-point win against Michael Glavey’s at Dr. Hyde Park. The loss of Caoileann Fitzmaurice through injury was a big blow to the Ballinlough side but Pearses were sharper in attack.

Clann na nGael were made fight all the way by Elphin before emerging with a three-point win on Saturday at Orchard Park. Cathal Shine and Ciaran Lennon were once again prominent for Liam Kerins’ team.

Roscommon Gaels rediscovered their form against St. Croan’s in Kiltoom in a game that saw referee Ollie Kelly show three red cards (John McManus and Richard Hughes for the Gaels, Cathal Connelly of St. Croan’s) in injury-time. Peter Gillooly scored an impressive 1-6 for Liam McNeill’s team.

The town team will now face Fuerty in a winner-takes-all contest in round three after Western Gaels defeated Malachy Gately’s side by eight points at Dr. Hyde Park. Western Gaels’ manager Fergal O’Donnell will be happy with the progress of his unbeaten team.

In the Mulryan Construction IFC Éire Óg were brought back down to earth with a bang in Loughglynn. A resurgent Kilmore were full value for their six-point win. Meanwhile, Oran continue to impress. They had eleven points to spare against a faltering Castlerea St. Kevin’s.

Game of the weekend in any division took place at Rockfield where championship favourites St. Faithleach’s conceded 4-10 and still managed to win by a point in a thrilling, high-scoring game! Diarmuid Murtagh (1-6) and brother Ciaran (0-6) were the Faithleach’s heroes as Kilbride pushed them all the way with Henry Walsh and Conor Devaney scoring 2-9 between them.

Two fine goals for Noel Gately were key as Creggs eased to a comfortable win against St. Aidan’s, while St. Dominic’s produced another emphatic display, scoring 5-16 against Ballinameen. The game between Shannon Gaels and St. Barry’s was postponed due to a bereavement.

There is a break from the football action this weekend with the final round of games being played on the weekend of 15th and 16th August.