Sale of courthouse agreed

 

 

Roscommon County Council has agreed to sell the historic courthouse in Roscommon town to the Courts Service. It is understood that the building will be purchased for €240,000. The Council owns 56% of the building and the Courts Service already owns the other 44%.

  At Monday’s meeting of Roscommon County Council, Director of Services Ms. Majella Hunt updated councillors on the planned sale.

  Until opening the new Civic Offices (Áras an Chontae) two years ago, Roscommon County Council shared the courthouse with the Courts Service.

  Cllr. Orla Leyden, Cathaoirleach of Roscommon County Council, said that it was a historic day. The sale, she noted, would facilitate the continuation of the courts service in Roscommon and also facilitate refurbishment of the facilities. This, she commented, will “allow for the development of a modern court service.”

  Cllr. John Cummins also welcomed the news. He proposed that a letter be sent to the Courts Service insisting that circuit court services are retained in Roscommon and that there is no “amalgamation with other counties” in the future. Cllr. Leyden seconded this proposal.

  A number of other councillors also welcomed confirmation of the sale, with Cllr. Paddy Kilduff stating that “€240,000” was an excellent price.

  Ms. Hunt: “We have followed the protocol and achieved the highest price…”