Roscommon SFC Roundup

Brigid’s down rivals while Clann beat champions

Following last weekend’s opening round of fixtures in the Hodson Bay Group Senior Football Championship, Seamus Duke takes a look back on the action which saw big wins for St Brigid’s and Clann na nGael…


Group A

Having shocked Boyle with a six goal salvo (see ‘Game of the Weekend’ match report), Roscommon Gaels are now in a strong position in this group with a home game against Western Gaels to come in round two.

In the other game in the group, St Faithleach’s and Western Gaels battled it out in Frenchpark. There was little between the sides in an evenly fought opening half with Finbar Cregg prominent for The Gaels and Ciaráin Murtagh for the Ballyleague men, as the sides went in at the break at 0-6 each.

But Faithleach’s were the better side in the second half and they kept their noses in front and sealed an important victory with a goal from Cathal Gunn in injury-time. Dave Rooney and Ciaráin Murtagh scored 0-9 between them for Faithleach’s.


Group B

In the big game in Kiltoom, St Brigid’s just about deserved to pip their great rivals Pádraig Pearses in what was a very tight match. Ben O’Carroll and Bobby Nugent led the scoring for the home side who led by 0-7 to 0-6 at half-time.

With ten minutes to go, Pearses drew level at 0-9 each but a point from play from Ronan Stack and a ’45 converted late in the game by Shane Cunnane saw Brigid’s over the line.

In the other game in this group, St Dominic’s scored what could prove to be a crucial victory when they had two points to spare against Michael Glavey’s in Knockcroghery on Friday night (see match report above).


Group C

Clann na nGael put their recent poor form behind them to easily defeat a very disappointing Strokestown side at Johnstown. Goals from Ruadhri Lennon, Sea Henry and the impressive Ciarán Lennon (who scored 1-4) helped Clann to a 12-point win. Defending champions Strokestown will now be looking over their shoulders as they face Oran in the next round. Clann had led by 2-5 to 0-8 at the break.

Oran were the four-point winners against Tulsk in Creggs. Charlie Carthy and Ciaran Lawless scored 0-9 between them on the night for Sean Staunton’s men, who led 0-8 to 0-3 lead at the break having played with the breeze in the opening half.

Tulsk were much better in the second half but Oran were the deserved winners. Tulsk now face a tough match in the next round against Clann while the game between Oran and Strokestown will be the game of the next round with so much at stake at both ends of the table.