Roscommon minors marooned despite second-half fightback

Electric Ireland Connacht MFC Semi-Final Galway 3-11 Roscommon 1-7

Down by 2-7 to 0-2 at half-time, Roscommon’s second-half revival was not sufficient as Galway minors advanced into the Connacht final next week, where they will play Mayo.

  The final scoreline flattered Galway a little as they scored 1-2 in injury-time at the end of the game, but Roscommon had given themselves too much to do.

  In front of a big crowd in Kiltoom last night (Wednesday), Galway totally dominated the first half. With Evan Murphy lethal at centre half-forward they drove forward relentlessly and scored their first goal in the 5th minute when Murphy converted a penalty after Ryan Forde was fouled.

  Galway’s second goal arrived in the 28th minute and again it was that man Evan Murphy on target after some excellent attacking play from the Tribesmen. It helped Galway into an 11-point lead at the break and all Roscommon could manage in reply were two pointed frees from Daniel Glynn and Ciaran Lennon. Indeed Galway were hit by two black cards in three minutes, given to Finian O’Laoi and Ryan Forde – but it didn’t seem to affect them at all.

  Roscommon were much better in the third quarter. Ciaran Lennon and James Fetherston were on target with two frees before Cathal Heneghan scored Roscommon’s first point from play, in the 44th minute. 

  The goal that Roscommon needed arrived in the 51st minute when Ciaran Lennon was tripped on his way to goal and sub Brian Derwin blasted the resultant penalty to the net.

  Points from Ciaran Lennon and a converted ’45 from Liam Cregg saw the margin down to five with three minutes left.

  That massive effort from Roscommon had taken its toll and Galway came again to pull away in added time. Dessie Conneely converted two frees and Barry Goldrick rattled home a simple goal in the 63rd minute.

  It was a brave effort from Roscommon but at the end of the day two championship games in the space of four days was just a bridge too far.

Roscommon: Liam Cregg (0-1, ’45); Adam Whyte, Aidan Dowd, Damien Duff; Lorcan Daly, Sean Fallon, James Fetherstone (0-1, free); Luke Mollohan, Conor Shanagher; Keith Murphy, Daniel Glynn, Michael McGloin; Pauric Halpin, Ciaran Lennon (0-3, 2 frees), Cian McKeon. Subs: Cathal Heneghan (0-1) for Glynn (24), Niall Murray for Mollahan (h-t), Brian Derwin (1-1, 1-0 pen) for McKeon (39), Fergal Guihan for Halpin (53).

Galway: Cormac Haslam; Eoghan Deeley, Sean Mulkerrin, Eoin McFadden; Adam Quirke, Earnan McDonagh, Fionnan Garvey; Sean Raftery, Ross Murphy; Barry Goldrick (1-1), Evan Murphy (2-4, 1-0 pen, 2 frees), Ryan Forde; Robert Finnerty (0-2), Finian O’Laoi, Desmond Conneely (0-3, frees). Subs: Sean Thornton (0-1) for O’Laoi (19, black card), Rory Cunningham for Forde (23, black card), Jack Gavin for Goldrick (43), Barry Goldrick for Cunningham (48, black card), Lee Kenny for Deeley (64).


Referee: Eamon O’Grady (Leitrim).