Pearse’s power past Kilbride

Ruby Oil Roscommon SFC   Padraig Pearse’s 1-13 Kilbride 0-5   Pearse’s power past Kilbride Padraig Pearse’s turned in a powerful display to sweep past Kilbride and into the Ruby Oil Roscommon SFC quarter finals at Hyde Park last Sunday evening.             The last time the sides met it ended level, but Pearse’s made no mistake this time and while they can look forward to a quarter final clash with Kilmore. Kilbride now join Clan na Gael, Western Gaels and Castlerea in the battle against relegation.             Kilbride were on top in the opening quarter with the O’Neill brothers Seamus and Colm and Conor Devanney doing well, but once Pearse’s got their second wind they simply brushed Kilbride aside on their way to a most impressive victory.             Pearse’s had some great performances, but it was heartening to see the return to form of Ja Egan who scored four excellent points from play. John Whyte was another to impress and he dominated around the middle of the field (he was switched there from the start) and scored a goal and a point as well – not bad for a man best known for his excellent defensive play over many years!             Kilbride started well and they quickly got into their stride. Gerry Lohan kicked a fine point from 30 metres in the first minute and a minute later Eddie Lohan finished a fine move with a great score also from 30 metres.             Pearse’s opened their account in the fourth minute when Sean Fahy pointed a thirty metre free after a foul on Ja Egan. However, it was Kilbride who were making the running at this stage and Conor Devanney kicked a great point on the run after seven minutes to leave his side 0-3 to 0-1 ahead.             However, it all went wrong for Stephen Banahan’s men after that as Pearse’s took over. Paul Duke was through but his fisted effort was parried away by Kilbride goalkeeper Jonathan Farrell and Duke had to leave the field after that clash but his replacement Niall Finneran went on to have a fine game.             Pearse’s were now piling on the pressure, but they were finding scores hard to come by. Ja Egan had a goal chance cleared while Sean Fahy saw his goal-bound shot cannon off the crosssbar. Pearses were creating the chances and the signs were ominous for Kilbride.             John Whyte grabbed a 16th minute point and a minute later Fahy levelled the scores with a 40 metre free. Now it was time for Ja Egan to show what he could do and the former colleges and minor star scored three points from play (one a fisted effort) in a three minute spell from the 26th minute to edge his side clear.             Then in the 29th minute we saw the only goal of the game. Pearses swept forward, Egan carried the ball deep into Kilbride territory before he passed to Sean Fahy who spotted John Whyte powering through the middle and the former county star planted the ball in the Kilbride net.             Michael Duignan kicked a point from play a minute later and midfielder Patrick O’Connell lashed over a 40 metre point from play for a now rampant Pearse’s. Eddie Lohan kicked a Kilbride point from play in the third minute of injury time, but a shell-shocked Kilbride went in at half time down seven points (1-8 to 0-4).             Kilbride, to their credit, came out with all guns blazing at the start of the second half, but once Conor Devanney’s piledriver was saved by Tomas Dolan in the Pearse’s goal in the second minute, you knew that it was going to be Pearse’s day.             Dennis Whyte kicked another great point for them in the third minute as they tightened their grip on the game. Pearse’s brought on minor star Niall Carty and he almost scored a goal with his first touch in the 14th minute, but Jonathan Farrell saved well. Pearse’s were on cruise control at this stage.             Sean Fahy kicked two great points in a row to leave it 1-11 to 0-4 by the 23rd minute and although Thomas O’Grady kicked Kilbride’s only score of the second half with five minutes to go, Pearse’s finished with a flourish and points from Egan and Fahy saw them home comfortably.             Pearse’s were most impressive on the day and if they can maintain this form they will be difficult to beat and a match for anyone that is left in the championship. John Whyte, Dennis Whyte, Enda Barrett, Ja Egan, Sean Fahy and sub Niall Finneran were excellent on the day for Pearse’s who will now face Kilmore in the quarter final.             Kilbride were a disappointment on the day. For them the O’Neill brothers Seamus and Colm, Conor Devanney and Thomas O’Grady did their best, but they were well beaten on the day.   Padraig Pearse’s: Tomas Dolan; Damien Donnellan Aidan Fallon John Whyte (1-1); Enda Barrett, Dennis Whyte (0-1), Declan Duffy; Paul Duke, Patrick O’Connell (0-1); Paul Kelly, Ollie Brooks, Jarlath Egan (0-4); Michael Duignan (0-1), John O’Connell, Sean Fahy (0-5). Subs: Niall Finneran for Duke, Niall Carty for Brooks, Padraig Kelly for D. Whyte, Gerry Kelly for J. Whyte, Vinny Costello for O’Connell. Kilbride: Jonathan Farrell; James Farrell, Colin Farrell, Paul Foxe; John Lally, Anthony McDermott, Paul O’Grady; Seamus O’Neill, Colm O Neill; Conor Devanney (0-1), Stuart Feeley, Thomas O’Grady (0-1); Martin McDermott, Gerry Lohan (0-1), Eddie Lohan (0-2). Subs: Sean McCormack for M. McDermott, Declan Casey for E. Lohan. Referee: Declan Hunt.