No room for minor error!

Rossies must beat Leitrim on Friday after Mayo setback

Electric Ireland Connacht MFC Round 2: Mayo 0-16 Roscommon 1-11

Roscommon face a battle to get to the semi-finals of this year’s Connacht MFC following this disappointing defeat at the hands of Mayo at Dr Hyde Park on Friday night.

  Roscommon will play Leitrim in Carrick-on-Shannon this Friday (6th) with a 7 pm throw-in.

  James Duignan’s men looked to be in a strong position at half-time after Mayo had corner-forward James Maheady sent off for a red card offence in first-half injury-time, but in truth Roscommon were outplayed for long spells in the second period and at times it looked like it was Mayo who had the extra man.

  Roscommon’s prospects looked much brighter in the opening quarter, when, with Rory Carthy and Conor Kelly playing well at midfield, the home side raced into a 0-5 to 0-1 lead after 15 minutes. Mayo came alive after that and rattled off three points in 90 seconds to get back into the match.

  There was a remarkable incident in the 20th minute when Mayo’s Niall Hurley was straight through on the Roscommon goal, his shot crashing off the crossbar. Hurley gathered the rebound and once again hit the crossbar. It was a let-off for Roscommon. By half-time the sides were level at 0-8 each.

  In first-half stoppage time Mayo’s James Maheady was sent off for a tackle on Roscommon’s Michael Moran and Mayo were down to 14 men for the second half.

  Yet, on the resumption, the visitors took over completely. Ronan Clarke and Niall Hurley were outstanding and Roscommon couldn’t cope with their intelligent use of the ball. Some of the scores they got were out of the top drawer (they contributed 0-11 between them).

  Twice Mayo led by four points – and looked to be heading for a comfortable victory – but in the 57th minute the home side were thrown a lifeline. Subs Brendan Murphy and Lee Taylor combined to put another sub, John Curran, through. He made no mistake and goaled from close-range. Mayo replied with a point from full-back John McMonagle while Robert Heneghan’s late free was of consolation value only for the home side.

  Roscommon were very disappointing in the second half and are now in a tight corner in terms of progressing in the competition. They must beat Sligo and Leitrim if they are to entertain hopes of a play-off place.

  For the home side, Michael Moran, Rory Carthy, Conor Kelly, Robert Heneghan and sub Eoghan Carthy did well, but ultimately Roscommon’s failure to contain the threat of Clarke and Hurley meant it was Mayo’s night.

Teams & scorers

Mayo: David Dolan (0-1, ’45); Rio Mortimer, John McMonagle (0-1), Lorcan Silke (0-1); Liam Maloney (0-1), Colm McHale, Paul Gilmore; Jack Keane (0-1), Luke Feeney; Cathal Keaveney, Dylan Gallagher, Diarmuid Duffy; James Maheady, Ronan Clarke (0-7, 3 frees), Niall Hurley (0-4). Subs: Zac Collins for Keaveney and Tom Lydon for Gallagher (both 36), Oliver Armstrong for Feeney (47), John Finn for Silke (60).

Roscommon: Sean Kelly; Tommy Morris, Jack Donnelly, Michael Moran; Keelan Ryan, Evan Quinn, Eanna Nolan; Rory Carthy (0-4, frees), Conor Kelly (0-1); Daniel Hagney, Eoghan Murray, Brian Greene (0-1); Ryan Dowling (0-1), Robert Heneghan (0-4, 3 frees), Ryan Hanley; Subs: Eoghan Carthy for Morris (30), John Curran (1-0) for Hagney (44), Brendan Murphy for Ryan (48), John McGuinness for Murray (52), Lee Taylor for Greene (55).

Referee: Christy Ryan (Galway).

Wides: Mayo 11; Roscommon 2

Man of the Match: Niall Hurley (Mayo)