Moycullen power past Glavey’s

Connacht Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final
Moycullen 2-16 Michael Glaveys 2-7

Galway champions Moycullen had just a little too much class and ring craft for a game and determined Michael Glavey’s in this very entertaining Connacht intermediate club semi-final played in super weather conditions last Sunday at Dr Hyde Park.

  There was a flurry of goals, with three in the first ten minutes of play (two to Moycullen), and it was the Galway side who went on to dominate the half and they led by eight points at the interval. Indeed the margin was still eight at the end of the third quarter. Then Glavey’s, led by some superb play from Andrew Glennon, fought back, and at one stage the margin was down to five. Moycullen kicked on again in the final few minutes and the nine point margin at the end flattered the winners.

  Philip Leyden opened the scoring with a pointed free for Moycullen in the 2nd minute and then three minutes later Glavey’s got in for a peach of a goal. Stephen Comer made a superb run through the heart of the Moycullen defence and he rifled the ball home for a tonic score for the Roscommon lads.

  However, Glavey’s joy was short lived as in the 8th minute Brian Faherty’s weak shot was fielded by Glavey’s netminder Rory Mannion and in what was almost carbon copy of what happened in the junior game to Shannon Gaels, the ball was deemed to have crossed the line and Moycullen were given the goal. Worse was to follow for the Roscommon champions less than a minute later when Sean Kelly fielded the ball 40 metres from goal, he scooted around his man and fired home a great goal to make it Moycullen 2-1 Michael Glavey’s 1-0.

   From then until half-time Moycullen dominated and with Peter Cooke and Eoin Walsh dominant around the middle of the field their attack was seeing plenty of the ball. Glavey’s only recorded three more points in the first half and they were all frees, from Stephen Comer and Andrew Glennon (2). In the meantime, Moycullen, with Philip Leyden in accurate form from frees and play got some eye-catching scores and by half-time they led by 2-8 to 1-3.

  Indeed the pattern of Moycullen dominance continued in the third quarter and points from Des Coneally (2 frees), Seamus O’Flaherty and Philip Leyden (a free) saw the margin remain at 8 by the 45th minute. Glavey’s second half points coming from Andrew Glennon, Seamus Burke, and Tiernan Murphy. Indeed Glavey’s could have been much closer if they had not missed a few easy scoring chances and two very scoreable frees at that stage.

   Then in the 46th minute Andrew Glennon scored a splendid goal, and when he kicked a mighty point from play from 40 metres out the margin was down to five points by the 50th minute. But any hope that Glavey’s might have had of staging a late recovery was quashed by Moycullen who kicked on again, They scored the last four points without reply through Philip Leyden (free), David Wyndham, Conor Bohan and Peter Cooke (free). It looked an easy win in the end but in fairness to Glavey’s they made Moycullen work hard for their victory.

  The little bit of extra class that Moycullen had in their ranks with plenty of players with Galway inter county experience told on the day. Moycullen will play Mayo side Hollymount/Carramore in the Connacht intermediate club final. But this is a very young Glavey’s team, and they will look back on the summer of 2015 with great satisfaction as they prepare for the Intermediate ranks in Roscommon in 2016.

Moycullen: Seamus Friel; Philip Ezrgallis, Matty Donoghue, Greg Bohan; Gareth Bradshaw, Eoin Walsh, Aidan Lavin; Seosamh O’Flaherty (0-1), Peter Cooke (0-2, frees); Sean Kelly (1-2), Brian Faherty (1-0), David Wyndham (0-1 free); Philip Leydon (0-6,5 frees), Des Conneally (0-2), Conor Bohan (0-2). Subs: Thomas Higgins for Ezergallis (black card 19), Michael Cullen for Faherty (57), Padraig White for P Leyden (59), Padraig Leyden for Conor Bogan (60), Henry Leyden for Bradshaw (61).

Michael Glavey’s: Rory Mannion; Seamus Burke, Shane O’Malley, David Frayne; James Brennan, Gary Patterson, Patrick Morris; John Final, Tiernan Murphy (0-1); Sean Burke (0-1), Conor Hussey, Darren O’Malley; Shane Fagan, Andrew Glennon (1-4, 3 frees), Stephen Comer (1-1). Subs: Cian Ruane for Frayne (35), Tommy Keane for Fagan (54).

Referee: Jerome Henry