More glory for Kilglass Gaels

Bus Eireann Div. 3 U-21 Final Kilglass Gaels                   1-11 St. Michaels                        2-7 (after extra-time) Kilglass Gaels capped a memorable year for the club at all levels when they won the Div 3. U-21 final by a point after extra-time against a gallant St. Michaels team at Elphin on Sunday last.   This was the second year in a row that St.  Michaels have been beaten after extra-time in an U-21 final and last Sunday they missed a number of easy chances and can reasonably say that they deserved at least a draw out of the game.   In the first half there was precious little excitement and the scoreline of two points apiece at half-time tells its own tale. However St. Michaels should have been leading at the break as Alan O’Hara’s penalty kick was well saved by Kilglass goalkeeper Stephen Farrell in the 18th minute.   St. Michaels began the second half best with two points, but Tom Cox scored a vital goal for Kilglass in the 38th minute. It was nip and tuck all the way through and O’Hara replied with a very good goal for St. Michaels.   A Kevin Feeney pointed free edged Kilglass ahead, however Keith Hogg scored two good points for the Cootehall men to give them the narrowest of leads. Then Feeney grabbed a last-minute point for Kilglass and we were into extra-time.   Michaels looked to have taken a giant step towards the title when Ronan Martin got a great goal early in extra-time, but three points from Kilglass saw the margin down to just one point in favour of St. Michaels.    As the clock ticked down, vital points from James Coyle and Kevin Feeney were good enough to hand Kilglass the title after a very exciting finish. Kilglass Gaels: S Farrell; R Gearty, O Kiernan, G Tully; S Cox, T Cox, M Reynolds; R Dooner (0-1), P Davis; Tom Cox (1-0), J Coyle (0-2), D Connellan; A Kelly (0-1), E Diffley, K Feeney (0-7). St. Michaels: D McGonigle; C Beirne, M King, N Doherty; E Duignan, K McDermott, D Cox; K Hogg (0-3), B Reynolds (0-2); K Shiner (0-1), Kelvin McDermott, J Brady; R Martin (1-1), A O’Hara (1-0), D Noone. Subs: J Reynolds, A McGuinness, G Doherty, K Moffatt, C Beirne, K Moffatt. Referee: H Beirne.