Bypass project could take over a year to get moving
The N5 Ballaghaderreen to Scramogue project is expected to be delayed for well over a year due to Roadbridge, the company initially contracted to complete the works, going into receivership.
Speaking at Monday’s meeting of Roscommon County Council, Director of Services Shane Tiernan confirmed that the local authority had cancelled their multi-million euro contract with Roadbridge, that new bidders would need to be identified and that the project may need to go before Cabinet once again.
Mr. Tiernan said the Council had written to Grant Thornton to advise that Roadbridge had breached the terms of the contract by entering into a receivership in March.
Roscommon County Council received a total of €9 million late last year from Transport Infrastructure Ireland and €2.5 million of that had been paid to the contractor in February for work which had been carried out.
Mr. Tiernan added that the underbidder for the project had already been declined and that the tendering and bidding process would now have to recommence.
He said that process of identifying a new contractor would most likely take between ten and twelve months and that it was “very likely” Cabinet approval would be needed for additional funding on account of the rising costs of materials.