Kelly strike lands double for Ballinasloe Town

  Skyvalley Rovers 1 Ballinasloe Town 2   Ballinasloe Town won the G&H Cup final to add the league title to their spoils and end the season with the double.             Enda Concannon’s side went into the final as hot favourites and did not disappoint the huge crowd that turned out to support the Town. Ballinasloe Town was always in control of the game and for long spells were far the better team and then goals from Henry Loughnane and Emmett Kelly sent the cup back to Ballinasloe.             The first time ten minutes of this game was a very even affair, with both midfields on top. On 11 minutes Ballinasloe Town won a free kick for handball and Darragh Concannon’s shot was blocked by the Skyvalley Rovers wall.             Town’s Shane Duffy made a good run from outside the box and saw his shot go just wide. It was a real let-off for Skyvalley Rovers, as all the football was coming from Ballinasloe Town. Darragh Concannon took a free kick for a foul on Jody Kelly and picked out Mark Duffy whose shot went just over the bar.             Benny Lynch then made a good save, pushing the ball out for a corner from a shot by Town’s Noel Lyons. Darragh Concannon pick up the ball from the corner and saw his shot saved on the line by Rovers’ Nigel Brookes.             Rover’s best chance to open the scoring was on 43 minutes when Sean Fahy picked up a pass from the midfield. He had only the keeper to beat, but shot wide when it looked easier to score.             The deadlock was broken on 47 minutes when Henry Loughnane was picked out from a free kick and he scored from close range to send Ballinasloe Town in one nil at half time.             The first half was a poor affair with Ballinasloe Town well on top. Rovers final ball into the box was consistently poor and they had just one good scoring chance.             Ballinasloe’s dominance continued in the second half. Early action resulted in a yellow card for Rovers Patrick Clogher for a late tackle on Darragh Concannon.             The game was turned on its head on 60 minutes when Rovers won a free kick on the right hand side of the pitch. The resulting kick was put out for a corner. Conor Duignan then picked out Fergal Costello whose header beat Smith in the Town goal to put Rovers right back into the game.             A tackle on Town’s Peter Keighery resulted in a second yellow card for Rovers, this time John Galvin was the recipient. Minutes later John Galvin had a great chance to add to Rovers score, but Smith in the Town goal parried the shot around the post.             Ballinasloe Town stepped up a gear and went looking for the winner. Darragh Concannon made a good run into the box, but just failed to pick out Mark Duffy.             Rovers picked up their third yellow card when Cormac McDonnell received a card for dissent and Town’s first yellow card went to Shane Duffy for kicking the ball away. The deadlock was finally broken by sub Emmett Kelly after some good build-up play by Mark Duffy and Henry Loughnane to send the G&H Cup back to Ballinasloe.   Managers’ comments Skyvalley Rovers Manager Alan Grehan told the People that he was disappointed with the result. ‘We never got going in the match.’             Ballinasloe Town Manager Enda Concannon told the People, ‘When I took over the team at the being of the season I felt I had a good squad of players.’ I asked Enda about his feeling after doing the double, ‘I am delighted for the players and everyone in the club, we were the best team by far this season.’   Man of the Match Darragh Concannon who was outstanding over the 90 minutes. Darragh could go on and play at a much higher level of football going on this display. Darragh told the People, ‘He was over the moon after doing the League and Cup double this season.’ Darragh went on to say, ‘That the turning point of the season for the Town was the away win to then league leaders Dysart.’   Ballinasloe Town: Darren Smith, Jody Kelly, Garry Furey, Peter Keighery, Garry Egan, Robbie Brookes, Mark Duffy, Shane Duffy, Henry Loughnane, Darragh Concannon, Jason Clogher, Garry Canavan, Keelan Daly, Niall Stack.   Skyvalley Rovers: Benny Lynch, Patrick Clogher, Brian Croffey, Fergal Costello, Nigel Brookes, Conor Duignan, Damien Caulfield, Cormac McDonnell, Declan Cooney, David Grehan, Frank Creavin, Vinnie Costello, Gerard Caulfield, Sean Fahy, Sean Glennon Referee: Tom Cormican. Assistants: Eugene Deering and Frank Daly.