Joy and despair: ‘The league’ is back!

League Throw-in

The Roscommon football leagues began last weekend with clubs having the use of their county players. In the O’Rourke Cup League Division 1 the newly-promoted teams of Oran and Kilmore were both beaten while the reigning champions St. Brigid’s had a comfortable win over Strokestown on a scoreline of Strokestown 2-5 St. Brigid’s 0-14.

  Oran were beaten by Elphin on a scoreline of Oran 2-7 Elphin 2-10. The only draw of the day was in Frenchpark when last year’s O’Rourke Cup finalists drew with home side Western Gaels.

  The first round clash between Padraig Pearses and Boyle was played in crisp, sunny conditions at Pairc an Phiarsaigh, Boyle held on to win by the slimmest of margins. Final score: Padraig Pearses 3-9 Boyle 2-13.

  Western Gaels and Roscommon Gaels shared the points in what was a hard-fought contest in the opening round of the senior league on a sunny but cold Sunday afternoon in Frenchpark.

  Goals either side of the half-time break by Cian Connolly (an early goal of the season contender) had Roscommon Gaels ahead by six points but Western Gaels fought bravely right to the end and helped by 11 points (10 frees) from the boot of Derek Moran, they levelled the game with the last kick of the game. Final score: Western Gaels 0-13 Roscommon Gaels 2-7.

  Clann na nGael took on Kilmore in Johnstown as part of the double header in the first game of the O’Rourke Cup. The score was 0-5 to 0-3 on twenty minutes to Clann. Cathal Shine drilled a great pass to Johnny Dunning who finished to the net. The score at half-time: 1-6 to 0-5.  Emmet Kenny was off the mark after four minutes of the second half with a well-finished goal. Final score: Clann na nGael 2-11 Kilmore 0-10.

  O’Gara Cup: Tulsk opened their league campaign with a one-point win over neighbours St. Croan’s in Enfield. Half-time score was Tulsk 1-6 St. Croan’s 0-2,  the goal coming from Jack Conlon. Final score: St. Croan’s 0-10 1-8 Tulsk.

  St. Faithleach’s also showed their intent to return to top flight football with a five-point win over St. Dominic’s. Ciaran Murtagh contributed eight points to the Faithleach’s cause with his brother Brian scoring two. At half-time the sides were tied on five points each. Final score: St. Faithleach’s 0-12 St. Dominic’s 0-7.    

  Four points from Christy Leahy (2 frees), 3 from Aengus Lyons (1 free) and one each from Mossy Connaughton and Eoin Whyte helped Fuerty on their way to their first two points of the season. Kilbride’s scorers were Fergal Tully (1-1), Conor Devaney (0-3), Henry Walsh (0-1). Final score: Fuerty 0-9 Kilbride 1-5.

  Castlerea St. Kevin’s defeated Éire Óg in O’Rourke Park. This was an entertaining game played in ideal conditions on a good playing surface. Éire Óg were in front by three points at the break.

  Castlerea became more prominent in the second half and a goal by Niall Connaughton midway through put them four points up. They led by seven points going into injury-time but a goal by Paul Freeman brought it back to a four-point game. Final score: Castlerea St Kevin’s 2-8  Eire Og 1-7.

 The half-time score in the Michael Glavey’s v Clann na nGael game read 0-4 to 0-2 in favour of the Glavey’s. It was a case of both defences on top leading to a low-scoring half. It ended in a tight match with Clann battling hard but Glavey’s edged it winning by one point. Final score: Michael Glavey’s 0-7 Clann na nGael B 0-6.

  The Tansey Cup started this weekend with three games being played.  St Aidan’s faced Ballinameen in Ballyforan  and were beaten by a stronger Ballinameen team on a scoreline of Ballinameen 1-11 to St. Aidan’s 0-12. Other results in the Tansey Cup: St. Michael’s 2-4 Shannon Gaels 2-14, Kilglass Gaels 2-10  Creggs 0-9.