Hurlers’ late late show

National Hurling League Roscommon 2-8 Tyrone         1-10 Roscommon survived this first major test of the reign of the new management team under David McConn when they won by a single point against the league leaders Tyrone in a match that was played in terrible weather conditions in Healy Park, Omagh last Sunday.   Strong winds, hail, sleet and snow showers buffeted the players who did well to produce a good a contest for the small crowd.   A Tommy Reddington goal helped Roscommon into a 1-6 to 1-2 lead at half-time but Tyrone piled on the presure on the resumption and they scored seven points in the first twenty-five minutes of that half to only one in reply from Roscommon and with four minutes left Tyrone still led by 1-10 to 1-7. However Cathal Kelly’s cross was flicked home by Gerry Fallon with 10 minutes to go for a priceless goal that levelled the scores and Mervyn Connaughton grabbed the vital winning point two minutes from time to grab the two ponts for Roscommon.   Afterwards Roscommon team manager David McConn told the Roscommon People that he was delighted with the win.    ‘The lads had to dig deep to win the game and they did that and it puts us in a very strong position now. We showed a great attitude and fighting spirit on what was a very difficult day for hurling.    ‘The conditions were terrible and Tyrone really put it up to us and we responded well’ he said.  ROSCOMMON: David Connell; Noel Cunniffe, Michael Mulry, Colm Moran; Pat Downey, Michael Kelly, Liam Murray (0-1); Tomas Lennon (0-3), Mervyn Connaughton (0-2); Cathal Kelly, Brendan Kelly, Alan Cunniffe; Gerry Fallon (1-1), Tom Reddington (1-0), Shane Sweeney (0-1). Subs: John Moran for Sweeney, Damien Kenny for C. Moran, Sean Melia for B. Kelly, Liam Casey for Fallon. TYRONE: J. Devlin; S. Og Grogan, D. Maguire, S. Donnelly; R. Winters, T McIntosh, L. Moore; P. Laverty (0-2), N. Hurson; S Og O’Hagen (0-2), P. Hughes (0-1), P. McMahon (0-1); C. McErlean (0-4), J. Kerr, J. Kelly (1-0). Subs: P. McHugh for Donnelly, B. Winters for R. Winters.   Referee: D. Magee (Down).