High Noone for Rovers

Umbro Connacht Senior Cup Round One Roscommon Town 3 Quayside Rovers 2 John Flanagan               John Bellow Francis Noone 2             O/G Marty Finan Roscommon Town went into this game on the back of a 9-nil win over Skyvalley Rovers. Quayside Rovers came into this game after maintaining their recent run of good form in the Sligo League Division One.   In their last game they beat Coolaney United with John Conlon scoring a hat-trick.   This was a real cup-tie with both sides looking to win it with attacking football with Roscommon starting the stronger of the two sides in the first ten minutes of the game.   It was Quayside Rovers’ Mickey McDermott who was first on target with a shot which was pushed on to the post by Roscommon ‘keeper Enda Daly.   Both sides had chances to open the scoring with Quayside Rovers shooting just wide of the goal on 22 minutes.   Roscommon opened the scoring with a wonder goal from John Flanagan from a corner to give the Town the lead on 33 minutes.   With minutes to go before half time Quayside’s John Bellow levelled the game with a fine header. Before the ref blew up for half-time Roscommon’s Francis Noone shot wide to send the teams in at half-time at 1-1.   The second half was slow to get started with both sides putting on the pressure, the best chance to give the Town the lead falling to Damien McGeeney who missed a great chance to score when his shot went just wide of the Quayside post.   Then John Flanagan had the Quayside ‘keeper all at sea and his shot came off the post to keep the score at 1-1.   A great run into the box by the Town’s Brian McNeela could have resulting in him going down in the penalty box but he stayed on his feet to force a corner which was cleared by Quayside’s back four.   From a Roscommon goal-kick Francis Noone rounded the Quayside ‘keeper to make it 2-1. The game was all but over when Francis Noone scored his second goal of the game to end this match as a contest, but in the final minutes of the game Roscommon’s Marty Finan score a own goal to give Quayside a slim hope. Roscommon played down the clock to record a good win and a place in the second round.   Roscommon Town Manager Pat Mullen told the People after the game that he was very happy with team’s display. He said he hoped that they could take this form into their league games as Roscommon should be playing in a higher Division.   Quayside Rovers’ manager Mike Keegan said after the game that he was not happy with the referee’s performance.  Man of the Match: Francis Noone.