Heneghan heroics

Hodson Bay Hotel Roscommon SFC

Castlerea St Kevin’s 0-12 Strokestown 1-8


Castlerea staged one of the comebacks of the year to snatch victory by a solitary point in this low-key encounter played in awful weather conditions in Strokestown on Saturday evening.

  After 16 minutes of play Strokestown led this match by 1-6 to 0-1 and a landslide victory for the home side looked on the cards – but incredibly Strokestown only scored twice in the final 44 minutes of play as Castlerea awoke from their slumber to notch what was a remarkable victory.

  Strokestown were on fire in the opening quarter. Aided by a Keelan Beirne goal in the 4th minute, they blitzed Castlerea, with Thomas Corcoran, Colin Compton and Kevin Finn all absolutely flying. They led by 1-6 to 0-1 after just 16 minutes.

  Responding to the blitz, Castlerea moved Enda Kenny to midfield, and he and Fintan Kelly took over after that. At half-time Strokestown led by 1-6 to 0-4 with Ger Heneghan, Fintan Kelly and Enda Kenny all scoring good points before the break for Castlerea.

  A revitalised Castlerea continued to dominate in the second period and by the 49th minute they had drawn level at 0-10 to 1-7. Thomas Corcoran pointed a Strokestown free in the 54th minute but veteran Ger Heneghan was once again the Castlerea hero as he kicked two magnificent long-range frees from 50 and 55 metres in the final three minutes to give his side a remarkable win.

Castlerea St Kevin’s: John Duggan; Dermot Lyons, Neil Collins, Niall Collins; David Quinn, Cathal Dineen, Eddie Creaton; Ronan Raftery (0-1), Fintan Kelly (0-1); Niall Connaughton, Seamus Heneghan, Declan Creaton; Enda Kenny (0-1), David Scahill (0-1), Ger Heneghan (0-6, 3 frees 1 ’45). Subs: Chris Dineen (0-2) for Quinn (19), Patrick Gunning for Cathal Dineen (52), Strokestown: John McHugh; David Neary, Ruairi Molloy, Paddy Brogan; Daniel Rogers, Sean Mullooly, John Rogers (0-1); David Butler, Seamus Collins; Keelan Beirne (1-0), Kevin Finn (0-2), Thomas Corcoran (0-2, 1 free); Colin Compton, John Cullinane, Diarmuid McGann (0-2, 1 free). Subs: Conor Silke for Beirne (39), David Parker for Mullooly (black card, 56). Referee: Kevin Naughton. Man of the Match: Enda Kenny (Castlerea St Kevin’s)