Gutsy Glavey’s go down fighting




All-Ireland Club IFC Final: Moy Tír na nÓg 1-10 Michael Glavey’s 0-7


Seamus Duke’s verdict from Croke Park


Michael Glavey’s’ magnificent run in the AIB All-Ireland Intermediate Club Championship came to a disappointing end when they were deservedly beaten by Moy Tír na nÓg in the final at Croke Park last Saturday. The damage was done in the opening half when the Cavanagh brothers-inspired Tyrone men stamped their authority on the game and by the mid-way point they led by a handsome seven points (1-5 to 0-1).

  But, faced with a large deficit, and then the prospect of having to play most of the second half with 14 men following the harsh sending off of midfielder Caoileann Fitzmaurice, Iain Daly’s men dug in and produced a great last 20 minutes to put a lot of respectability on the scoreboard. It also gave a chance for the huge Glavey’s following to vent their feelings on a bitterly cold day in Croke Park.

  Colm Cavanagh and wily old veteran Seán Kavanagh led the Moy charge and were prominent throughout. They were at the heart of all their team’s positive play. But to concede a goal after just 25 seconds was the worst possible start that Glavey’s could have had. They were struggling all over the field in that opening half and even worse news came when young star Cathal Heneghan had to retire injured after just 19 minutes.

  By half-time the game was probably over as a contest, but no one told Iain Daly and his excellent team. They still tried to get a foothold in the game by putting Gary Patterson into the attack and urging players to get forward at every opportunity.

  Two early second half points hinted at a recovery, but once Caoileann Fitzmaurice was harshly sent off by referee Brendan Cawley (after being well prompted by Seán Cavanagh), you got the feeling that it was not going to be Glavey’s’ day. But they dug in and came alive after the sending off.

  Andy Glennon was magnificent and Liam Cregg, Shane O’Malley and Neil Morris were not far behind him. By the 57th minute the margin was down to four, but the gap was too big and Glavey’s just couldn’t bridge it. It was a brave effort and they died with their boots on.

  There are times when you just have to put your hands up and admit that the best team won on the day and this was one of those times. The cuteness and experience of Seán and Colm Cavanagh was crucial on the day. The best team won but I was disappointed with many decisions made by referee Brendan Cawley. He certainly gave very little to Glavey’s on the day.

  But it was not to be and Glavey’s will carry great memories with them from a never to be forgotten championship of 2017/2018. It was a pleasure to be there to share them. This experience will stand to them and I expect to see them flourish in the senior championship come the summer of 2018. Thanks for the memories lads!