Garvey goals give Kilmore win over Gaels

O’Rourke Cup: Two Paul Garvey goals in the 28th and 53rd minutes of the game proved the decisive scores for Kilmore in their Division 1 encounter against Western Gaels on Sunday. Garvey grabbed his first to give Kilmore a 1-4 to 0-6 lead at half-time.

  Garvey’s second goal put daylight between the sides with seven minutes remaining as Kilmore held on the closing stages to win it 2-11 to 1-11.  

  Strokestown were convincing winners over Boyle in Boyle. In the second half Strokestown went up through the gears and it was easy in the end. Colin Compton hit ten in a hugely impressive performance. Final score: Strokestown 1-19 Boyle 1-7.

   On a perfect day for football Roscommon Gaels and Elphin served up a highly entertaining encounter at Lisnamult in the O’Rourke Cup.

  A Johnnie Conteh goal edged the Gaels in front and gave them momentum to finish the first half strongly, leaving the score at the break Roscommon Gaels 1-7 Elphin 0-5.

  Kieran Kilcline proved to be the difference between the two teams in the second half. The Gaels man hit 1-3 from play after the break. Despite the best efforts of Gerry and Fintan Cregg, who were excellent for Elphin, the Gaels entered injury-time six points in front. Elphin however fought to the end, scoring 1-1 in the last minutes to give us a grandstand finish. Final score:  Roscommon Gaels 2-13 Elphin 1-14.

  Clann na nGael travelled to Oran. The visitors started with a point from Cathal Callinan followed up with one from Donie Shine and those two were instrumental as Clann took a 1-7 to 1-4 lead in at the break.

  Oran went on a scoring spree and finished with a goal and several points from play to win this match convincingly. Final score: Oran 3-12 Clann na nGael 1-14.

O’Gara Cup: The team effort and hard work paid off for St. Croan’s in what was a highly emotionally charged local derby against Castlerea St. Kevin’s that was very enjoyable to watch. Final score: St. Croan’s 3-9 to St. Kevin’s 0-11.

  Clann intermediate team played Tulsk in a cold but dry Johnstown on Saturday evening. Tulsk started the better with some early scores. Clann got the scoreboard ticking with a fine score by Kieran Connaughton but Tulsk dominated the game early on scoring a goal in the 15th minute.

  Killian Bannon took some good scores in the second half with Clann having nine different scorers throughout the game, however the Tulsk goals proved the difference. Final score: Clann na nGael 3-13 Tulsk 0-16.

  St. Dominic’s secured another two points when they overcame Fuerty on Sunday last in Mulhern Park. Fuerty aided by the breeze started well and and led by three points after 10 minutes with points from Lyons, Brennan and Leahy.

   Dominic’s, with Malachy Gately back in charge of his home club, took control and points from Finneran, Fallon and sub Kenny Beirne and a cracking goal from the impressive Tommy Hurley opened up a six-point gap for Dominic’s by the 42nd min. Fuerty rallied and points from Lyons, Brennan and Ward narrowed the gap to three, but another Tommy Hurley goal and a Michael Finneran point  restored a comfortable seven-point lead with five minutes remaining. Fuerty did rally well with points from Brennan (2), Lyons (2) and Darragh Mullen, but Dominic’s secured a deserved victory.

  Éire Óg came away with a victory over Kilbride. Kilbride were three points up after six minutes but Éire Óg came back into the match to lead at half-time, 1-9 to 0-5. The goal came from Barry Nolan.   Kilbride emerged from the dressing room with renewed determination. Six unanswered points in the first sixteen minutes of the second half left Kilbride trailing by the minimum. However Éire Óg dug deep in the closing stages to hold out for the win on a scoreline of 1-12 to 0-14.

   St. Faithleach’s travelled to Ballinlough last weekend and started off the livelier team. They went two points up after 10 minutes. Glavey’s kept battling and eventually got on top in the midfield sector with Conor Hussey excelling. Very little separated the teams and just on the stroke of half-time Glavey’s found the net, leaving the score 1-7 to 0-6 at half-time.

  At the restart it was St. Faithleach’s that dominated for a 10 minute period but Glavey’s kept themselves in the game with frequent points. Glavey’s then netted again after a Gerard Fagan goal to put them seven up, but St Faithleach’s soon replied through a Ciarain Murtagh penalty. The home team kicked on to run out deserving winners, 2-15 to 1-11.

  Tansey Cup: Creggs 2-6 Shannon Gaels 0-6. St Aidan’s 2-10 Elphin  1-8.