Further Castle Street works postponed

Further road-improvement works at Castle Street, Roscommon town, look set to be postponed because of financial and planning issues, councillors were told at Monday’s meeting of Roscommon Municipal District.

  The street recently reopened after phase one of the project, involving the improvement of the streetscape and widening of footpaths, was completed.

  Phase two was also due to take place this year.

  It would have involved the provision of pedestrian crossing, partly because representations were made by the Brothers of Charity, who provide services for those with intellectual disabilities and autism.

  However, John Mockler, the co-ordinator of the municipal district, said on Monday: “Being realistic, I would say it would be very hard to get Castle Streety phase two finalised this year.”

  He said the fact that other projects in the road-works scheme had cost more than expected and that phase two of Castle Street’s works would also require public consultation (what’s known as a part 8) were the reasons for the delay.

  “Our original tender price for Ballyleague, Ballintubber and all these came in slightly higher – the first contractor pulled out and the second contractor was significantly higher,” Mr. Mockler said.

  “We are going to have to wait to see where the money is going to come from for these jobs before we know exactly what money we have for Castle Street phase two.”

  Cllr. Orla Leyden, of Fianna Fáil, expressed disappointment with the news.

  “The Brothers of Charity made submissions, lobbied the Council and rightly felt happy that they had succeeded in that work. A commitment had been given that the pedestrian crossing would be delivered.” she said.