Fuerty denied while Pearses grind on!




Hodson Bay Hotel SFC Round-Up

Group A

Brigid’s survive!

Fuerty 0-10

St. Brigid’s 0-10

Fuerty almost put St. Brigid’s out of the championship with a determined and gritty display at Kiltoom on Friday night and it took two late frees from Brian Stack (one of which was a controversial point) to earn a share of the spoils after an entertaining match.

  Fuerty were by far the better side early on and at one stage led by 0-6 to 0-1. But by half-time the sides were level at 0-6 apiece after a good Brigid’s revival and some accurate free-taking from Brian Derwin.

  Fuerty, for whom Tom Bannon, Aengus Lyons and Niall Kilroy were outstanding, led by two points going into the last two minutes but Brian Stack pointed those two late frees to keep his side in the championship, and only just.

Scorers – St. Brigid’s: B Derwin (0-5), P Kelly and B Stack (0-2) each, E Sheehy (0-1).  Fuerty: N Kilroy (0-6), C Murray (0-2), C Leahy and R Fallon (0-1) each.


Goggins’ the goal hero!

St. Croan’s 3-9  

Elphin 1-12

Anyone who saw these sides play in the first round of games certainly would not have predicted a Croan’s win, but they were full value for their three-point win at Enfield on Sunday. It was a totally transformed Croan’s who were always in the hunt and Keith Muldoon scored a fine goal to put them ahead in the opening half before Shane Killoran’s goal ensured that Elphin were ahead by a point at the break 1-7 to 1-6.

  Cathal Connelly scored a vital second goal for Croan’s early in the second half but despite Elphin losing Fintan Cregg through injury, they led inside the final quarter but Croan’s always looked dangerous and when Damien Goggins poked home a late goal Croan’s had completed their revival.

Scorers – St. Croan’s: K Muldoon (1-3), D Goggins (1-1), C Connelly (1-0), R Thompson (0-3), G Grogan and A Brogan (0-1) each. Elphin: S Killoran (1-2), G Cregg (0-5), Frankie Cregg (0-2), Fintan Cregg, N Higgins and C Fox (0-1) each.


Group B

Honours even!

Michael Glavey’s 0-12  

Strokestown 1-9

This was a much-improved performance from Strokestown who earned a deserved draw against high-flying Michael Glavey’s. Indeed they had to come from four points down in injury-time to get a share of the spoils. It was nip and tuck in a low-key first-half which saw the sides go in at five points apiece.

  In the second half Caoileann Fitzmaurice and Andy Glennon kept the scoreboard ticking over and the home side looked home and dry leading by 0-12 to 0-8 late on. But Davy Neary scored a great individual goal to reduce the margin to two and in the dying seconds Keelan Beirne scored the equaliser from a long- range free.

Scorers – Strokestown: C Compton (0-5), D Neary (1-0), K Beirne, D McGann, P Brogan and  K Murphy (0-1) each. Michael Glavey’s: C Fitzmaurice (0-5), A Glennon (0-4), S Markham, S Burke and S Comer (0-1) each.

Group C

Pearses grind out win

Pádraig Pearses 1-10  

Western Gaels 0-10

If Pádraig Pearses are to justify favouritism in the senior title race they are going about it the hard way as they ground out a very hard fought victory against a gritty Western Gaels side at Athleague. The game was marred by a head injury sustained by Pearses player Lorcan Daly and the action was held up for almost 40 minutes as an ambulance was called. But thankfully the defender is Ok and will be back in action within a few weeks.

  It was a very poor game in the opening half at the end of which Pearses led 0-5 to 0-4. The Gaels were then reduced to 13 men after the dismissal of Tommy Devine and Cathal Cregg but Pearses struggled to pull away. The introduction of Aaron Fehily was significant and he scored three late points to swing it in Pearses favour.

Scorers – Pearses: A Fehily and E Kelly (0-3) each, H Darcy (1-0), C Payne (0-2) C Daly and P Carey (0-1) each. Western Gaels: N Higgins (0-4), K Higgins (0-3), T Gill, C Cregg and C Cafferky (0-1) each.