Four Roads reach semi-finals

Kepak Roscommon SHC Round-up

Four Roads 0-15 St. Dominic’s 0-8: With just two rounds gone, champions Four Roads are safely into the semi-finals following this victory over St. Dominic’s at Athleague on Saturday evening.

  Four Roads, with Mark McLoughlin, Shane Curley, Micheal Kelly, Johnny Moran, Conor Mulry, and Andy Lawlor playing well, were never really in trouble.

  The sides were level at 0-3 each after 12 minutes but after that Four Roads took over and by half-time they were 0-9 to 0-4 ahead.

  Points on the restart from Michael Donoghue and Micheal Kelly made it 0-11 to 0-4 within five minutes – and now the game was over as a contest.

  Best for St. Dominic’s were Tommy Doyle. Ciaran Shaw, Mark Miley and Ciaran Hunt.

Four Roads: D Dowd; C Dowd, M McLoughlin, J Rogerson; S Curley (0-4), J Fitzmaurice, J Donnelly; M Kelly (0-1), J Moran; B Lawlor, C Mulry (0-1), E Rogerson (0-1); C Dowd (0-1), M Donoghue (0-1), A Lawlor (0-5). Subs: J Coyne (0-1) for B Lawlor, C Coyle for Cathal Dowd, T Treacy for Fitzmaurice, D Butler for Mulry.

St Dominic’s: B Hanley; C Hunt, A Naughton, N Moran; P Joyce, C Shaw, S Finneran; A Beades, M Brehony; T Doyle (0-2), M Beirne, R Kilcline; J Murray (0-1), R Byrne, M Miley (0-5). Sub: H Walsh for Beirne.

Referee: H Kane. 

Gaels too good for Tremane

Roscommon Gaels 1-12 Tremane 1-9: Roscommon Gaels made it two wins from two against Tremane at Athleague on Saturday evening and now they can look forward to a semi-final place.

  This was a closely-fought affair and with defences on top it was Tremane who led by a point at the break. Cillian Egan had scored the Gaels’ goal in the 14th minute.

  The Gaels went ahead early in the second half, mainly due to the accuracy of free-taker Damien Healy. By the end of the third quarter the town side were five points up.

  Tremane were thrown a lifeline by Padraig Brennan’s goal with 10 minutes to go but the Gaels had done enough and held out.

Roscommon Gaels: D Casey; N Tannion, E Browne, B Mullen; T Mullen, G Egan, O Hession; D Guthrie, P Lennon; G Waldron (0-1), A Clogher, D Healy (0-9); D Waldron, C Egan (1-2), C Duignan. Subs: K Doolin for Clogher, J Walker for T Mullen, G Clogher for D Waldron, L Tiernan for Walker.

Tremane: K Kellehan; J Blighe, P Kellehan (0-1), B Keenan; W Boyle, M Keaveney (0-1), C Mahony (0-1); S Melia, N Keenan (0-1); D Keaveney (0-1), Joe Brennan, J Brennan (0-2); P Brennan (1-0), P Somers, S Mahony (0-1). Subs: D Mullen (0-1) for Somers, M Kellehan for D Keaveney, F Carr for S Mahony, C Farrell for P Brennan.

Referee: J Judge.

Pearses back on track

Pádraig Pearses 0-17 Athleague 0-10: Pádraig Pearses got their championship challenge back on track when they were the comprehensive winners in this disappointing game played in Athleague on Friday night.

  Tomas Sweeney was the Pearses’ hero, scoring 0-12 from play and frees. Pearses got their noses in front early on and they were never headed. Pearses led by three points at half-time and they extended that advantage during the second half.

  Now Athleague will have to beat Oran in their next game to stay in with a chance of an automatic semi-final spot.

Padraig Pearses: Padraig Dolan; A Naughton, P Dolan, B Fallon; M Donoghue, Aidan Sweeney, J Donoghue; S Naughton, D Downey; James Donoghue (0-1), T Seale, D Sweeney; T Sweeney (0-12), A Sweeney (0-3), E Costello. Subs: A Finnerty (0-1) for Costello, M Naughton for Al Sweeney, D Dolan for Seale.

Athleague: D Connell; JP Murray, P Nolan, E Naughton; A Moore, N Connolly, P O’Connell; E Flanagan, S Kilcommins (0-1); C Kelly, E Bannon, M Connaughton; D Heavey, G Fallon (0-8), ET Murray (0-1). Sub: B Fallon for ET Murray.

Referee: H Kane.