Footballers jet off to training camp

Footballers jet off to training camp  Roscommon senior footballers continue their preparations for the Connacht Senior Football semi-final showdown with Sligo, conquerors of New York, when they travel to Portugal today (Thursday) for a week’s training in the Algarve.    Such trips have become part and parcel of the modern game and the hope will be that the training camp sojourn will help significantly in the preparation of John Maughan’s charges as they look forward to the big match in a few weeks time.    Roscommon played a final challenge game before departure when they met Offaly last weekend.    Roscommon had defeated Offaly in a memorable league encounter earlier this year but on this occasion their Leinster opponents had a decisive edge, with Offaly winning by 2-20 to 2-10 in a game played on Saturday.     The Roscommon team lined out without Gary Cox, Seanie McDermott and Seamus O’Neill. The starting line-up was: Colin Nicholson, Adrian Murtagh, Anthony McDermott, Paddy O’Connor, Sean Purcell, David Casey, Stuart Daly, Rory O’Connor, Michael Finneran, Cathal Cregg, David O’Gara, John Tiernan, Derek Connellan, Karol Mannion, Ger Heneghan.   The Roscommon goals were scored by Rory O’Connor and Cathal Cregg. The game was level until after half-time after which Offaly pulled away.   The entire Roscommon SF panel will leave for Portugal on Thursday of this week for the week’s training in the Algarve.   Roscommon play Sligo in the Connacht SFC semi-final in Hyde Park on Sunday June 17th next. Gaels make hurling history against kingpins History was made in the third game in Athleague last Sunday when Roscommon Gaels defeated Four Roads in the championship for the first time in  36 years.   The Gaels played with the aid of the very strong breeze in the first half and they struck for two vital goals through full-forward Henry Flanagan in the 11th and 19th minutes and at half-time The Gaels led by 2-6 to 0-3 at half-time.   The expected Four Roads comeback never materialised in the second half and although Michael Kelly grabbed a goal from a free in the 42nd minute the Gaels defended stoutly with Kenny Doolin John Maloney and Eoin Browne outstanding and they were the deserved winners at the end.