Fleming seals it for Creggs

Connacht Junior League Creggs ……………….. 15 NUIG ……………………. 7 Creggs kept their promotion hopes alive with a hard-earned 8-point win over NUIG in Galway last Sunday. It was a highly-competitive game played in a very good spirit and while Creggs deserved to win, it took a last-minute interception try from Mike Fleming to make the victory certain because up until that point it was touch and go.   The first half was a very even affair in which defences were on top. It took 35 minutes for Creggs to score and it was Bernard Kilcommons who showed a clean pair of heels to his covering defenders to touch down near the NUIG posts to leave Creggs ahead 7-0 at the break.   NUIG powered their way back into the contest on the resumption. Outside centre Noel Roche took advantage of slack Creggs defending to score an excellent try which he converted himself and there was a half  an hour yet to go in the game.   Then the Creggs pack showed their mettle and they put the NUIG pack under serious pressure and a series of penalties to Creggs ensued. Creggs went into a 10-7 lead after Noel Flynn converted a close-range penalty. Both sides had chances to score after that but there was to be no more scoring until Mike Fleming intercepted on the half-way line and sprinted away to score in the corner at the end of the game. A vital score and a vital win too! The pack did very well on the day and Paul Turley and Mark Hester played very well. Mark Brandon and Noel Flynn did well at half-back while all the backs did well too.   Next Sunday the team play Ballyhaunis at home in another vital game. Please come out and support the team if you can. Creggs: A Glennon, M Corcoran, P Heavey, P Turley, K O’Rourke, K Brandon, M Hester, T Fleming, M Brandon, N Flynn, M Fleming, C Brandon, B Kilcommins, G Brennan, E Collins. Sub used: P Comiskey. Connacht Junior B League Creggs ……………….. 12 Galwegians …………. 0 Two superbly-taken first-half tries saw Creggs on the road to victory in this game played at The Green last Sunday. Winger Damien Cahill scored the first try after 10 minutes when he finished off a sweeping move created by a great run by Steve Cranston and carried on by Steven Neary.   Shortly afterwards Galwegians suffered a severe setback wheh one of their players had to go off with what looked like a serious leg injury which resulted in the game being held up for a considerable period of time.   When the game resumed, Creggs regained control and with half-time on the way the home side got through for a second try. Centre Paul Mahony broke through to touch down after good work from Damien Cahill. Dave Flahive’s conversion left the home side 12-0 ahead at half-time.   Galwegians were much better in the second half but the introduction of Barry Kilcommons into the Creggs pack saw them dominate possesson in the final quarter. However there were no further scores in the game. This win means that Creggs are still in line for a top-four position. Alan Ward made a welcome return at no 8 and he, Stephen Neary and Kieran Ryan were excellent on the day.   Creggs play Loughrea in the league this weekend. Training continues on Tuesdays 8 pm and Fridays 8.30 pm. New players very welcome. Creggs: J Hughes, D Cahill, P Mahony, J Cahill, F Hester, D Flahive, D Drury, P Coffey, L Mannion, D Conboy, D Kilcommins, S Cranston, S Neary, K Ryan, A Ward, Subs: B Kilcommons, G Keegan, P McDonagh, P Cahill, E Kilcommins, R Keenan