Entertainment News

Fashion Show in Boyle in aid of Mellon Trust A Fashion Show takes place in St Joseph’s Hall, Boyle, on Thursday, April 10th, in aid of the Niall Mellon Township Trust. Ladies’ fashions will be by Magee’s of Main Street and shoes by Corrigans of St. Patrick’s Street, Boyle. Admission is €10 and the event starts at 8.30 pm.    The Niall Mellon Township Trust was established in 2002 to provide homes to the impoverished communities in the townships of South Africa. The charity is currently looking for 2008 volunteers for the year of 2008.    Around 80 percent of these volunteers will come from the building trade in Ireland, representing a wide variety of skills from carpentry to block laying. The remaining 20 percent will come from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences.    Volunteers who do not have a trade are involved in a range of activities on-site, including painting, labouring, store management and a range of other activities. Each volunteer is asked to raise a minimum of €5,000.      Approximately €2,300 of this covers return flights to Cape Town from Dublin and accommodation. The remainder of the funds raised goes towards the cost of building materials. 100 percent of any money raised above the €5,000 target will go directly towards providing additional houses in the townships. Dancing in Rooskey Stephen Smyth will delight dancers in the Shannon Key West hotel in Rooskey on Sunday night next, April 6th with his exciting repertoire and lively dance band. Stephen from Portaferry in Co. Down is one of the most talented musicians and vocalists in the Irish country music scene.    Such are Stephen’s talents that he has become one of the most sought after band men on the entertainment circuit! So, before the hustle and bustle of the week begins, enjoy an evening of listening and dancing to all your favourite songs, from your favourite dance bands. Dancing from 10 pm until late every Sunday night at the Shannon Key West Hotel in Rooskey. Is your child a superhero? Is your child a superhero? If so, then they may just be suitable to feature as the main character in a book currently being compiled by transition year students in Coláiste Mhuire, Ballygar. Students in the Ballygar school are working on a project entitled ‘TY Tales’.    To find our more or purchase a copy of the book, call the school on (090) 66 24740 or drop into the Aonad Resource Centre in Ballygar for an application form. Big Generator return to Jack’s Live Venue Big Generator are a four piece Rock Band based in Portumna, Co Galway. The Band consists of Paul Cantillon (vocals/bass guitar), Barry Conboy (lead guitar), Liam Martin (vocals/guitars /keyboards),  Alan ‘ Mack ‘McEvoy (vocals/drums). Over the past few years the Band has toured extensively in the UK, Sweden, Holland, Germany, Belgium,  America and of course their native Ireland playing over 250 shows a year. One of the leading forces in the Irish Music Scene Big Generator will be appearing in Jack’s Live Venue on  Saturday 12th April.  After 5 top twenty hits, 2 albums and numerous tours they bring their high power show to Roscommon next weekend. This is a show not to be missed.