Fianna Fail TD and Election candidate Deputy John Ellis says that the failure of An Bord Pleanala to thus far make a decision on the Rock of Doon hotel project is ‘astonising’ and ‘unacceptable.’ He noted that a decision has been deferred ten times since last December. Deputy Ellis said: ‘While the North Roscommon region has benefited from the Rural Renewal Scheme essential tourism infrastructures are still very deficient. ‘Everyone is aware of the utterly disappointing decision of An Bord Pleanála last year to refuse planning permission for the worthwhile proposal for a hotel, golf course, etc. for the Forest Park in Lough Key. In that instance substantial money was spent on what ultimately became a failed project. ‘Tourism figures for 2006 show a decline of 25% in the region despite an increase nationally when for the first time over seven million visitors came to our shores. ‘In the light of this deficiency it is now even more astonishing that a current planning appeal before An Bord Pleanála for a hotel and spa at Doon, Boyle has been with the Bord since August 2006 and no decision has been made. In fact since last December a decision has been deferred on no less than 10 occasions, the most recent deferral being notified to the promoters on Thursday, 29th March. ‘This delay is unacceptable both from the promoters’ and region’s point of view and denies all concerned the benefits of what this €25 million project will deliver. I now call on An Bord Pleanála to notify a decision forthwith and give the Boyle region a much-needed injection which has been denied for so long’.