Dooner’s wekend review – December 22nd




Holders advance as local clubs impress

The vast majority of last weekend’s games went as predicted with Roscommmon & District sides impressing in round two of the Connacht Cup.

 Holders Ballinasloe Town clinched a hard fought 2-1 win in Oughterard with Gary Egan’s late penalty the difference.

  Premier Division side Cloonfad United were impressive 2-1 winners over Galway side Tuam Celtic at home. United came from a goal down after just three minutes and super goals from Ryan Merchant and Dylan Rushe saw them through.

  In Ballymoe, the Roscommon champions were comfortable 3-1 winners over Sligo Super League outfit St. John’s.

 In Lecarrow, Boyle Celtic twice came from behind to beat Galway Hibs 4-2. Mick Corrigan, Gerard McDermottroe (2) and Dylan Edwards with the goals for the Roscommon side.

  Dunmore Town’s struggles continued against Merlin Woods Medtronic at home. The hosts were down two goals early in the game before Colm Manhire pulled one back. Dunmore were made to rue some missed chances however when the visitors wrapped it up with a third goal towards the end.

  Castlerea Celtic were beaten 2-0 away from home by last year’s runners-up West United while Shiven Rovers went down 4-3 on penalties to Achill Rovers following a 2-2 draw.

  Happier travels for Moore United as they beat Kiltullagh 2-1 away from home. The two Kellys, Emmett and Gerry, with the goals for Moore.

  Athlone side St. Peter’s edged NUIG B 2-1 after extra-time in Galway. Garry Stephens and Mark Sherlock on target for the Roscommon & District side.

  Dysart beat a spirited Ballaghaderreen side 4-2 on penalties following a goal fest in Ballaghadereen. The home side had been 3-1 up before Dysart fought back and the game finished 4-4.

  Skyvalley Rovers lost 3-1 away to the Mayo side Straide & Foxford United. David Grehan scored for the Roscommon side. Meanwhile, St. John’s Athletic conceded their game away to Carbury FC.

  Elswhere, in the Connacht Shield, Ballinasloe Town B were beaten 6-5 on penalties by Corrib Celtic B after the game finished scoreless after extra-time. Hodson Bay Athletic received a walkover against Claregalway FC B while Strokestown United conceded their game away to Tuam side Dynamo Blues.

  Cam Celtic received a walk over from Dromore Villa and Lough Harps failed to travel to Benbulben FC. The remaining games last weekend were postponed.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year to all players, club officials, match officials and RDFL officers!