Deadly Devaney downs Dominic’s!

Intermediate Round-up

Group A: Kilbride 3-11 St. Dominic’s 1-13

Conor Devaney stole the show as Kilbride upset pre-match favourites St. Dominic’s at Kilbride on Saturday evening last. The Roscommon county player scored 2-7 on the night (2-4 from play) to help his side to a deserved win in what was one of the best individual performances seen for some years past.

  Dominic’s started best and Conor Fallon’s goal in the 6th minute helped them into a five-point lead by the end of the first quarter.  But two brilliant goals within a minute scored by Conor Devaney turned the game on its head, and when Conor Shanagher scored Kilbride’s third goal before half-time Kilbride led by 3-3 to 1-6.

  St. Dominic’s were the better side in the third quarter and points from Darren Donnelly, Conor Fallon and Ronan Morris levelled the scores. But Conor Devaney stepped in again and he scored some outrageous points from frees and from play to see Kilbride safely home.

Kilbride: C Devaney (2-7), C Shanagher (1-0), D Clabby, F Tully, H Walsh and C O’Neill (0-1) each.

St Dominic’s: C Fallon (1-5), R Morris and U Kelly (0-2) each, E McCormack and M McGloin (0-1) each.

Oran 2-11 Tulsk 2-11

Tulsk came from behind to gain an unlikely share of the spoils at Rockfield on Saturday night and the Group A table in the IFC is wide open as a result in what is a very open championship this year.

  Oran were first to strike when Colm Mahon fisted home John Concannon’s long delivery and it helped them into a five-point lead. Tulsk recovered to score a couple of nice points but Oran struck for their second goal when Colm Mahon struck from close range in the 25th minute.

  But in fairness to Tulsk they were back in the game by half-time when Martin Conway scored their first goal and at the break Oran led by 2-6 to 1-4. On the resumption points from Michael Gunning and Kieran Whyte (0-2) saw Oran maintain their comfortable position and with two minutes to go they led by 2-11 to 1-9.

  But Tulsk made a late surge. David Carlton scored a well-taken goal and then Jack Conlon followed up with a great point to narrow the gap to one in injury-time. Then in the 64th minute Tulsk were awarded a free and Jack Conlon tied up the scores from close range.

Oran: C Mahon (2-0), K Whyte (0-4), M Gunning (0-4), G Keenan, A Cassidy and D Beirne (0-1) each.

Tulsk: J Conlon (0-6), D Conlon (1-1), M Conway (1-0), C Burns and C O’Rourke (0-2) each.

Kilmore 0-11 Fuerty 0-9

Kilmore edged out Fuerty in this intensely fought game at Kilmore on Saturday. It was a day for defences as Kilmore ground out a vital win. Points from Paul Garvey and Gearóid Ennis were the only scores in the first 17 minutes of play. Then Kilmore were on target through Derek Connellan and Paul Garvey before Philip Neilan and Niall Kilroy levelled matters by the 22nd minute. However points from Paul Garvey (2) and Ray Caslin saw Kilmore three ahead at half-time.

  Points on the restart for Kilmore from Dara Feely (2) and Derek Connellan extended their lead to six, and by the end of the third quarter Kilmore were ahead by five. But Fuerty staged a late rally and points from Gearóid Ennis and Niall Kilroy (all frees) saw the gap down to two in the final minute but Kilmore held out to win narrowly.

Kilmore: P Garvey (0-4), D Connellan, R Caslin, D Feely (0-2) each, J Garvey (0-1).

Fuerty: N Kilroy (0-5), G Ennis (0-2), P Leahy and P Neilan (0-1) each.

Group B

Éire Óg 1-10 Shannon Gaels 0-13

Shannon Gaels will be kicking themselves after blowing an eight-point lead in difficult weather conditions in Enfield on Sunday.  Shannon Gaels were impressive in the opening half with Matthew Bourke, Ciaran Lynch, Conor Leyden, and Shane Leyden catching the eye and they were five ahead at the break and when they went 0-12 to 0-4 ahead with 20 minutes left they looked like they were coasting to an easy win.

  But Éire Óg got their act together after that. They edged their way back into contention, but they still trailed by three points deep into injury-time but then Ross Nolan set up Lee Keenan for a sensational equalising goal.

Éire Óg: L Keenan (1-2), C Lavin and R Nolan (0-3) each, L Creaton and F Nolan (0-1) each.

Shannon Gaels: M Bourke (0-5), C Leyden (0-3), C Lynch, S Leyden (0-2) each, C Harmon (0-1).

St. Barry’s 1-12 Clann na nGael 0-12

St. Barry’s’ good run continued in Ballyleague last Sunday when they produced a strong second half display to deny Clann. Ciaran Lennon, Eoin O’Neill, Ciaran Connaughton, Ross Naughton, Ian Naughton and Ciaran Reilly all kicked excellent points in the opening half for Clann. But Barry’s were better in the second half and aided by a great performance from county player David Keenan they overcame the Johnstown men. The crucial score came in the 46th minute when Alan Callaghan scored the only goal of the game.

St. Barry’s: D Keenan (0-5), R Mitchell (0-4), A Callaghan (1-1), D Cox, F McGowan (0-1 each).

Clann na nGael: R Naughton, C Lennon (0-3) each, C Reilly (0-2), C Connaughton, E O’Neill, I Naughton, C Bannon (0-1) each.

St. Michael’s 1-12 St. Aidan’s 2-8

St. Michael’s scored a vital win against St. Aidan’s in Castlerea on Saturday night but St. Aidan’s have only themselves to blame with a total of 19 wides. Michael’s had the aid of the elements in the opening half and they led by 0-7 to 0-3 at the break. But Niall Corbett goal after the break saw the sides level. Then St. Michael’s grabbed what was to be a vital goal when Andrew Moran fisted home. But Eoin Fallon restored Aidan’s advantage with a goal and Alan O’Hara won the day for Michael’s with two late points.

St. Michael’s: R Cox (0-5), A Moran (1-1), A O’ Hara, D Conlon (0-2) each, N Conlon, D Beggan (0-1) each.

St. Aidan’s: P Neary (0-4), E Fallon and N Corbett (1-0) each, J Coyne (0-2), F Coyne and M Connolly (0-1) each.