Daniel delivers!

Daniel delivers! All-Ireland MFC Final Galway          1-10 Derry             1-9 A spectacular goal from corner-forward Daniel Reddington with two minutes to go gave Galway their first All-Ireland minor football title in 21 years when they overcame an unlucky Derry side in this very competitve ESB All-Ireland minor football final played in Croke Park on Sunday last.   Derry were devastated to lose this game when they thought the title was in the bag but all credit to Galway who stuck to their guns and kept going until the final whistle. After a poor start they recovered well and they were never that far away in what was an excellent second half.   Derry sped from the blocks and led by 1-5 to 0-2 at one stage of the first half with their excellent full-forward Gavin McGeehan causing mayhem in the Galway defence. He crashed  home a great goal after six minutes and had a hand in almost every Derry score. However Galway manager Alan Mulholland moved centre half-forward Michael Martyn to midfield and the Tribesmen began to get a grip. By half-time a succession of fine points left it Derry 1-6 Galway 0-5.   Paul Conroy and Martyn were on top at midfield in the second half and the Galway revival continued. Three early points from the Connacht champions cut the margin to one. Then came a terrible umpiring error when despite the fact that Galway defender Conor Doherty’s shot for a point was clearly inside the post the ball was flagged wide to the astonishment of almost everyone in the ground.   Derry re-asserted themselves and  looked like they had weathered the storm when they led by three points with three minutes remaining. However they should have put the game beyond the reach of the Galway men but the brilliant McGeehan struck the butt of the post with a clever shot and they were to rue that missed goal chance. Galway got a point to reduce the margin to two and then Reddington crashed home a fantastic goal at the near post from 15 yards to send the Galway followers wild.   Galway held on the final whistle and there were wild celebrations as Paul Conroy became the second Connacht man in a row to lift the Tom Markham Cup following on from David Flynn  who lifted the trophy for Roscommon in Ennis last year.   Galway’s win was also food for thought for Roscommon who will be casting their minds back to the Connacht final loss when Paul  Garvey’s sending off was so crucial to the outcome of that game.   All credit must go to Galway and their  management  for delivering an All-Ireland title to Connacht on what has been a poor year for the western province on the football front. Galway: O. Higgins; E. Glynn (0-1), C. Forde, K. Kelly; C. Doherty, D. O’Reilly, T. Fahy; P. Conroy (capt.), A. Griffin; JJ Greaney, M. Martyn (0-6), J. O’Brien; J. Ryan, T. Walsh, D. Reddington (1-2). Subs: J. Burke for Ryan, O. O’Brien (0-1) for Greaney. Derry: A. Warnock; M. McKinney, C. McWilliams, D. Bell; N. Forrester, JF. Bradley (0-1), B. Henry; C. McKeague, C. O’Boyle; J. Kielt (capt. – 0-1), S. Cleary (0-2), D. Mullan; A. Heron, G. McGeehan (1-1), L. Moore (0-3). Subs: D. Heavron for Forrester, C. McFeely (0-1) for Cleary, L. Kennedy for Heron. Referee: Derek Fahy (Longford).