Creggs defeat gallant Carrick

Creggs firsts continued on their winning ways when they defeated Carrick-on-Shannon 32-0 in Carrick at the weekend. The result, while conclusive, does not do justice to the efforts of a gallant home side who battled away all through.   After a good start Gary Brennan scored the first of his three tries in the right corener after 12 minutes and five minutes later Emmet Collins made it 10-0 to Creggs with another try.   Then in the 28th minute Barry Egan scored another Creggs try an the corner and despite some excellent Carrick pressure Creggs reached half-time leading the game by 15 points to nil.   In the second half Creggs were playing well and in the 10th minute Garry Brennan was again in the right place to grab another try and Noel Flynn converted from the touchline to leave it 22 points to nil for Creggs.   However for the next 20 minutes the home side were the stronger team, however some great defensive work from Creggs kept them out and in the final 10 minutes Creggs scored two further tries.    Mark Brandon sprinted from his own 22 to score a great individual try in the 31st minute and Gary Brennan completed his hat-trick of tries with two minutes to go.   Despite the big margin this was not as easy a win – as the scorline might suggest – and but for some good defensive work Creggs could have and probably should have conceded some points.   Creggs firsts have a free Sunday this week and the following week Creggs play Loughrea in a top of the table clash. Creggs: E Collins, G Brennan, C Brandon, P McDonagh, B Egan, N Flynn, M  Brandon, A Glennon, M Corcoran, P Heavey, P Casey, P Turley, K Brandon, T Fleming, M Hester. Subs: G Mullarkey, P Cumiskey, P Coffey.   The Junior B team were defeated by Tuam by 9 points to 8 in a league game played in very poor conditions last Saturday at The Green.    Scoring opportunities were few and far between but Tuam were just the better in taking their chances.   Tuam outhalf John Cosgrave was in great placekicking form, landing three very difficult penalties and it was harsh on Creggs who were camped in the visitors 22 for most of the final twenty minutes but they could not get the winning score.   Cosgrave landed his first penalty after 12 minutes and despite some Creggs pressure, Cosgrave landed another penalty before half-time to leave the visitors 6-0 ahead at the break. Creggs were then hit with injury as Paul McNeill had to go off to be replaced by Niall Quinn in the front row.   In the second half Creggs were paying better and in the 13th minute pressure paid off with the award of a penalty which was scored by outhalf Ronan Kelly to make the score 6-3. However the lead was back to six points when Cosgrave was on target with another penalty shortly aftewards, to make it 9-3.   Creggs drove forward and were rewarded when Paul Mahony got over for an excellent try to reduce the margin to only one point. Creggs did have a number of chances late in the game but were unsuccessful and Tuam held out to win by a point.   The next league game is away to Ballina on December 2nd. Training continues on Tuesdays and Fridays at 8.30 pm. New players welcome.