Roscommon County Council says a threatened strike by the Fire Service will not now be taking place.
According to a statement from the Council, SIPTU has rescinded plans for a strike.
The Council statement said: “It is regrettable that the Council was forced to resort to High Court proceedings to seek to restrain SIPTU in its course of action.”
However SIPTU has rejected the Council’s statement and are saying that the planned strike was in fact rescinded after the Council issued a revised brigade order on Friday, January 27th.
In its statement, Roscommon County Council said while it is always willing to engage with SIPTU, the Council “cannot allow isolated incidents in any fire station or individual disgruntlement from any fire fighter to tarnish the reputation of our excellent and committed fire fighters or indeed frustrate our well-established relationship with SIPTU.”
SIPTU rejected the Council statement and said the planned strike was rescinded after the Council issued a revised brigade order on Friday, January 27th.
“Anthony McCormack of SIPTU says our strike committee considered this on Monday, 30th of January and they were happy that the revised brigade order addressed their concerns and they decided to call off the strike which was due to take place on Friday, February 3rd. The Council were informed of this on Tuesday, January 31st.
“It appears that the Council were in the process of initiating High Court proceedings to try and prevent the strike.
“The fact that this matter had already been resolved and the strike rescinded has resulted in the Council being saved a very costly High Court case.”