Connacht Cup proves happy hunting ground for local sides

Last Sunday saw the third round of the Connacht Cup take place and overall it was a very good week for Roscommon & District League teams.

  Skyvalley Rovers hammered Sligo/Leitrim side, Ballisodare, 5-1 away from home with David Grehan (2), Ethan Keogh and Mark Richardson(2) with the goals.

  Fellow Premier Division side Dysart travelled to Mayo where they were convincing 3-1 winners in their tough tussle with Mayo Premier Division champions, Ballyglass. All the goals arrived in the second half with Ferdinand Coyne, Andy Higgins and John Coyne on target.

  Moore United continued the Roscommon sporting domination of Mayo as they trounced Mayo Premier Division side Claremorris 9-0. A Mark Duignan hat-trick, a brace each for Alan Duffy and Mark Nicholson and one each from Enda Kenny (not that one) and Andy Nevin put the Roscommon side through.

  Ballinasloe Town continued their recent impressive form, beating Sligo side, Aughannagh Celtic, 3-2 at home. Mark Duffy and two from Darragh Concannon gave Ballinasloe a 3-0 lead before the visitors pulled two back.

  In an all-Roscommon tie, Ballaghaderreen returned to winning ways as they enjoyed a convincing 5-2 win over MD Town at Dunmore.

  Danny Browne, Dillon Edwards (2), Gerry Ward and Cormac Rushe scored for the visitors. Tom Gleeson and Tommy Wrynne were on target for the hosts.

  Cloonfad United were beaten 4-1 at home by last season’s Connacht Cup finalists Athenry. Morgan Lyons was on target for Cloonfad.

  Castlerea Celtic had a good 2-1 win over the Galway Premier side Colemanstown at Castlerea, Ronan Curran and Peter Farrell with the goals to secure a place in round four.

  Ballymoe made the long journey to Annaghadown but were beaten 2-1 by Corrib Celtic. Keith Muldoon gave Ballymoe a 1-0 lead but Chris Greaney struck twice for Corrib Celtic.

  The St. John’s Athletic v Colga game was level at 3-3 in Lecarrow at the end of normal time before the referee called it off.

  In the Connacht Shield Kilkerrin United lost 8-3 away to the Galway City side East United. Damien Mahon scored two and Jason Ward scored one for the Kilkerrin side.

  Lough Harps had a great win away to the Galway side Medtronics. The game finished 2-2 at the end of extra-time before Lough Harps won 6-5 on penalties. Sean Burke and Ronan Murphy scored for Lough Harps.

  In Division 1 of the Roscommon & District League leaders Shiven Rovers had to come from 3–1 down to earn a point at home to Ahascragh United.

  Glen Celtic beat Rahara Rovers 6-0 in their Division 1 game at Glenamaddy.

  Kieran Trautt and Ryan McHugh gave Glen a 2-0 lead at the break before Willie Comer scored two and Paul Dolan and Kieran Trautt added one each in the second half.

  Ballinasloe Town beat Ballaghaderreen 6–1 at Ballaghaderreen. Dillon Keane got four and Brian Campbell and Jason Tuohy added one each. Owais replied for the home side.

  In Division 2, Moylough and C P Ajax drew 2-2 at Moylough.

  Skyvalley Rovers beat MD Town 3-0 at Onagh Park, Taughmaconnell. KC Celtic beat Cloonfad United 2-1 at Cloonfad. Roscommon United beat St. John’s Athletic 4-0 at Roscommon.