Bubbling Boyle book Brigid’s showdown

Hodson Bay Hotel Roscommon SFC Quarter-Final: Boyle 3-15 St. Faithleachs

Boyle’s superb form continued at Kilglass last Sunday when they turned in another hugely impressive display to qualify for a semi-final tilt against championship favourites St. Brigid’s after a third consecutive high-scoring championship performance.

  Playing with a gale force wind behind them they went in at half-time leading by 1-11 to 0-3, and the big question was could Faithleach’s make up the gap in the second half with the aid of the elements? But it was Boyle who answered that question in emphatic fashion in the second half, as they added a further 2-4 to run out the emphatic winners.

  On a difficult day for football, it was Boyle who played with the elements in the opening half and after Aidan Dooney pointed for the Ballyleague men in the 3rd minute it was one-way traffic after that as Boyle took over.

  With Seanie Purcell dominant and leading from his position at centre half-back, Boyle began to build up the scores. Points from Enda Smith and Jim Suffin saw them into the lead by the 7th minute and a minute later their opening goal arrived. It came as a result of a mistake in the Faithleach’s defence and Darren O’Connor made no mistake from close range.

  Further points from Cian McKeon (3, 2 frees) and Darren O’Connor saw the lead out to eight by the 12th minute. Points for Faithleach’s from Diarmuid Murtagh (free) and Ciaráin Murtagh by the 17th minute saw them stay in touch, but it was only brief respite. A string of fine points from Enda Smith, Darren O’Connor, Cian McKeon (free), Killian Cox and Dylan East saw Boyle ahead by eleven points at the break, but given the strength of the wind that gap looked like it might be possible to bridge.

  Indeed the signs were good for Faithleach’s in the opening couple of minutes of the half when Dave Rooney and Brian Murtagh pointed within two minutes but Boyle settled down after that and they coped very well with the elements and the challenge of Faithleach’s.

  In the 35th minute, Seanie Purcell burst through the Faithleach’s defence and transferred to Cian McKeon and his pass was fisted to the net by David Callaghan. Then three minutes later the game was all over as a contest when Cian McKeon was upended in the Faithleach’s penalty area and Dylan East fired home the resultant spot-kick and now the gap was a massive 15 points.

  David Callaghan kicked a mighty free from 35 metres into the wind to further extend the Boyle lead in the 41st minute. Faithleach’s were handed some hope in the 42nd minute when Diarmuid Murtagh was fouled for a Faithleach’s penalty, and although Ciaráin Murtagh’s spot-kick was saved by Tadgh Lowe, he followed up to net the rebound.

  But Boyle were much better able to hold on to possession and they saw out the victory in emphatic style. David Callaghan and Darragh Hussey exchanged points by the 46th minute before Cian McKeon (free) and David Callaghan, with a mighty 45’ into the storm, re-established the Boyle dominance.

  Faithleach’s scored 1-2 in the last six minutes of play but it was too little too late. Brian Murtagh and Darragh Hussey pointed and in the final minute Kevin Farrell got in for a goal but Mick Jordan’s men had done more than enough and now they will set their sights on St. Brigid’s in what will be a mouth-watering semi-final clash. On the basis of their last three championship displays it would be very foolish to dismiss the chances of this very impressive Boyle side who have scored a massive 10 goals and 39 points in their last three championship games.

  For them Seanie Purcell was an inspiration and Michael Hanmore, Dylan East, Roch Hanmore, Tadgh McKenna, Enda Smith, David Callaghan, Darren O’Connor and Cian McKeon were excellent too.

For a disappointing Faithleach’s side Brian Murtagh, Dave Rooney and Ciaráin Murtagh tried hardest but they were well beaten on the day.

Boyle: Tadgh Lowe; Gareth Gilmartin, Michael Hanmore, Cian Beirne; Dylan East (1-1, 1-0 pen), Seanie Purcell, Tadgh McKenna; Kieran Cox, Roch Hanmore; Killian Cox (0-1), Enda Smith (0-2), Darren O’Connor (1-2); Cian McKeon (0-5, 4 frees), Jim Suffin (0-1), David Callaghan (1-3, 2 frees). Subs: Mark O’Donoghue for East (48), Mark Goldrick for Gilmartin (54), Ben Kerins for Kiaran Cox (56), Mark O’Connor for Suffin (58).

St. Faithleach’s: Alan Manning; Brian Scally, Stephen Ormsby, Mikey Cox; John Walsh, Daniel Foley, David Harrison; Brian Murtagh (0-2), Dave Rooney (0-1); Kevin Farrell (1-0), Ciaráin Murtagh (1-1, 1-0 pen), Senan O’Grady; Diarmuid Murtagh (0-1), Darragh Hussey (0-2), Aidan Dooney (0-1). Subs: Johnny Hussey for O’Grady (50), Alan Kenny for Foley (51), Henry Kenny for Dooney (54), Shane Phillips for Hussey (57).

Referee: Aaron Clogher