Billy’s boys blitz Aidan’s

Mulryan Construction Roscommon IFC semi-final

Oran 4-16 St Aidan’s 0-4


Seamus Duke


Oran swept into their fourth intermediate final in five years when they dismissed the challenge of a very disappointing St. Aidan’s at Dr. Hyde Park on Saturday last. Billy Donnellan’s men took charge from the throw-in, led by ten points (2-7 to 0-3) at half-time and freewheeled to victory in a one-sided second half.

Darragh Walsh and Terence Kelly swopped points in the opening three minutes, but once Kieran Whyte crashed home a 5th minute goal after a storming run from Ciaran Lawless, the floodgates opened. Charlie Carthy, Jack Earley, Cathal Kenny and Ciaran Lawless were rampant as Oran swept forward relentlessly.

Oran’s second goal arrived in first-half stoppage time when Cathal Kenny finished a great move after great work from Carthy. With the score at Oran 2-7 St. Aidan’s 0-3 at the break, the game was over as a contest, even at that stage.

St. Aidan’s did make some changes for the second half, but it didn’t make any difference to the flow of the game as Oran continued to dominate. Johnny Coyne scored St. Aidan’s lone second-half point in the 41st minute, while the Oran scoring spree continued.

Sub Jack Gunning scored a simple goal after a poor kick-out from James Kenny, and a minute later Charlie Carthy grabbed another goal to extend the lead to a whopping twenty points.

After all the heartbreak and bad luck that they have encountered over the past five years, it remains to be seen if this will finally be Oran’s year. Certainly they have not put a foot wrong in the championship so far.

Colin Walsh, Kevin Concannon, Ciaran Lawless, Darragh Walsh, Charlie Carthy and Cathal Kenny were outstanding. Of course the real big test awaits them in the final against St. Dominic’s.

For a very disappointing St. Aidan’s, Terence Kelly, Cathal Kelly and Keith Waldron made most impact – but the team was totally outclassed.

Oran: Paul Brandon; John Martin, Colin Walsh, Kevin Concannon; Eoghan Grady, Thomas Fetherston, Jack Casey; Ciaran Lawless (0-1), Connie Regan; Kieran Whyte (1-0), Darragh Walsh (0-6, 5 frees), Eamon Kenny; Charlie Carthy (1-3, 2 frees), Cathal Kenny (1-2), Jack Earley (0-1). Subs: Paul Kenny (0-3) for Earley (32), Ciaran Casey for Whyte (41), Mike Dwyer for J Casey (44), Jack Gunning (1-0) for E Kenny (50), Mark Gunning for Fetherston (54).

St. Aidan’s: James Kenny; Cathal Mears, Mark Higgins, Cathal Kelly; Donal Kelly, Keith Waldron, Darragh McCarthy; Shane Byrne, Diarmuid Treacy; Adam Cummins, Andy Higgins, Gary Kelly; Terence Kelly (0-2, 1 free), Cathal Dolan, Ciaran Fallon. Subs: Johnny Coyne (0-1) for C Fallon (h/t), Nigel Kelly for Cummins (h/t), Frankie Galvin for Byrne (45), Brian Coyle for M Higgins and Raymond Kennedy for T Kelly (53).

Referee: Dermot Lyons (Castlerea St. Kevin’s).


Man of the Match


Charlie Carthy (Oran)