Ballinasloe Town march on

One hundred and thirty clubs entered this season’s Connacht Cup Competition and the Roscommon and District League Premier Division side Ballinasloe Town are through to the last eight. They beat the Mayo League side Invern at 4 -0 Ballinasloe. Mark Duffy scored early in the game and Jason Twohig added two more before half-time. Liam Lynch completed the scoring for Ballinasloe in the second half.   In the Ruby Oil sponsored Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League second placed Moore Utd. dropped two points in their chase for the title when held to a 1 -1 draw away to Skyvalley Rvs. A gale-force wind spoiled the game as a spectacle but both teams tried their best to master the conditions. Michael Duignan headed a Damien Caulfield cross to the Moore net after ten minutes of play and Joe O’Connell finished off a John Greene cross seven minutes before half-time. Both Michael Duignan and John Greene had good chances in the second half but failed to hit the target.  Heatmerchants beat Moylough 79 4-2 at Moylough. David Donoghue, Colm Hyland, Sergio and John Murry scored for the winners. The Castlerea Celtic v Kilkerrin game was postponed.   The big game in the Athlone Nissan Division 1 was at Brideswell where Cam Celtic played Dysart in a local derby game.  Cam Celtic went 2-0 ahead through Keith McLoughlin and a Shane Curran penalty.   However they then had two players sent off and had to battle all the way to get a point. John Coyne and Keith Waldron scored for Dysart in the last ten minutes.   Baylough Rvs. beat Laurencetown Utd. 1-0 away at Laurencetown.   Strokestown Utd. beat Ballinagare 4 -2 at Strokestown. David Parker and John McHugh scored first for the winners. David Jordan and an own goal for Ballinagare levelled the game. However Derek Hagen score twice for Strokestown in the last eight minutes to win all three points.   In the Abbey Hotel Division 2 St. Johns Athletic move into second place thanks to a 5-1 win at home to Manor Utd.    Manor Utd were a goal up at half-time thanks to Darragh Hussey. In the second half Alan Creavin scored three and Aidan O’Byrne and Brian Ward added one each for St. Johns Athletic.   Skyvalley Rvs. beat Moore Utd. 3-1 at Moore. Sean Glennon, Cormac McDonald and Tom Keogh scored their goals.    The Ballinasloe Town v Shiven Rvs. game was postponed.     In the Casey Ford Division 3 Loughglynn Utd. are the new leaders following a 4-0 win over Ericsson F.C at Athlone. Mark O’Brien scored three and Joe O’Flanagan one for the winners.    Lisnamult Celtic were surprisingly beaten 3-2 at home by Rahara Rvs. Edimielson scored two for the loser and fellow Brazilian Dom scored two and Clio one for Rahara Rvs.   In the G & H sponsored Challenge Cup round 2 played Friday night cup holders Castlerea Celtic beat Glen Celtic 3-1 at Glenamaddy.  Giles McDonagh, Ronan Curran and Ronan Mulvihill scored for the winners and Aiden Geraghty replied for last season’s beaten finalists. Moore Utd. beat Ballinasloe ‘B’ 2-1 at Ballinasloe. John Greene and Enda Barrett for Moore and Owen Carey for the losers scored the goals.      In the remaining game Ballinasloe First team beat Ballymoe ‘B’ 5-0.   Liam Lynch scored two and Mark Duffy, Henry Loughnane and Garry Egan scored a goal each for the winners. The members of the Roscommon and District League wish to extend their sympathies to the Parkes and Beaumont families on their recent bereavements. The late Johnny Parkes was a fine footballer in his day and played against teams from the Roscommon and District League in the Athlone Area. His brother Noel is a prominent Referee in the Roscommon Branch of the Irish Referees society and plays a big part in the success of the League. The late Maureen Beaumont was the mother of Jim Beaumont who was a fine referee and was a cornerstone of the Roscommon and District league for many years, particularly when the league was founded in the 1970s. Jim also done great work with the Roscommon Branch of the Irish Referees Society and continues to promote the game. His brother Joe was well-known in football circles and it’s doubtful if there is anybody in the country who had a greater love for playing the game. In fact many members of the Beaumont family continue to be involved in the game.  To the extended Parkes and Beaumont family our deepest sympathy is extended. May they rest in peace.