Ballinasloe town lose out in Connacht Cup

Ballinasloe Town 2 Castlebar Celtic 4 Roscommon & District League Premier Division side Ballinasloe Town bowed out of this season’s Umbro sponsored Connacht Cup when they were beaten 4-2 by Castlebar Celtic in their quarter final game at Ballinasloe.      The home side came close to scoring on three occasions in the first twenty minutes of the game. Celtic won a free-kick just outside the box. Simon Kelly floated a ball into the box which was met by Gary Rice whose header went just over the bar.    As half-time approached Celtic won a throw-in on the right-hand side. The ball was worked to Gerry Burke who beat Kearney at the near post to put Celtic one nil up.    It was not Kearney’s day – when Celtic won a free-kick on the left side about eighteen yards out, the kick was taken by Gary Price and he beat Kearney all hands down to make two-nil.   Right on half-time Celtic’s Maughan made the half-time score Ballinasloe Town nil Castlebar Celtic 3.   The Town ended Kearney’s afternoon and brought on Dermot Smith for the second half. With just two minutes of the second half Town got a lifeline with a long ball over the Celtic back four which pounced on by Gary Canavan to put the Town right back in the game. Castlebar however made it 4-1 when Maughan netted.  Inside a minute Darragh Concannon squared the ball to Emmett Kelly who beat Wallace in the Celtic keeper to make the score four-two to Celtic.    G & H sponsored  Roscommon & District League Challenge Cup  Moore United 4  Ahascragh United 1 Premier Division side Moore United are through to round three and will play Castlerea Celtic after beating Ahascragh United 4-1 in Moore.    Division 1 side Ahascragh United took an early lead through Joe Hennelly. Alan Duffy levelled the game when he scored for Moore United before half-time. In the second half, Ahascragh United had a player sent off and a dominant Moore United added three more through Alan Duffy, John Greene and Kevin Kenny. Ballymoe 0 Cloonfad United 4 Cloonfad United are also through to the third round when they beat fellow Premier side Ballymoe F.C. 4-0 in Ballymoe.    John Burke headed a Declan Costello free-kick to the Ballymoe net after twenty-eight minutes of play and David Keaveney and Pascal Ronane added two more before the break. David Keaveney ensured a place in the fourth round against Rahara Rovers when he scored a fourth for Cloonfad United in the second half. Glen Celtic B 3  Ballymoe B 1 Glen Celtic B are also through to round 4 and a meeting with Cam Celtic following a 3-1 win over Ballymoe’s second side in Glenamaddy.    Keith Muldoon scored early for Ballymoe and Simon Swarskey scored two and Paul Geraghty one for the Glenamaddy side. Ruby Oil Premier  Division  Shiven Rovers 4 Glen Celtic 1 Shiven Rovers beat Glen Celtic 4-1 in Newbridge. Michael Turley scored two and Paddy Delaney and Brian Crowe got one each for Shiven Rovers with Eoin McStay pulling a goal back for the losers. Cloonfad United 1 Moore United 3  Moore United beat Cloonfad United 3-1in Cloonfad on Friday evening to ease their relegation worries. David Keaveney gave the home side a perfect start when he scored within the first minute. However Alan Duffy, Christiana and Enda Barrett replied for Moore United before the end. Athlone Nissan Division One Manor United 0 Rahara Rovers 1 Rahara Rovers kept their hopes of promotion alive when they beat Manor United 1-0 in Manor. Damien Donnelly scored the only goal of the game for Rahara Rovers after sixty-five minutes of play. Bear an Raille Division Two Roscommon Town 2 C.P.Ajax 1 Pat Mullins’ Roscommon Town beat C.P. Ajax 2 -1in Roscommon. Nigel Dineen scored early for the Castleplunkett side and Matthew O’Keeffe and Cathal Dempsey won all three points for Roscommon Town when they scored a goal each. Premier Division Kilkerrin United 0 Castlerea Celtic 2 Castlerea Celtic closed the gap on leaders Ballinasloe Town to two points in the Ruby Oil Premier Division when they beat Kilkerrin United 2-0 in Kilkerrin.   Both goals came in the first half – one was an own goal and Cathal Dinneen added a second.  Bear an Raille Division Two Loughglynn United 5 Skyvalley Rovers 1 Congratulations to Loughglynn United who won the Bear an Raille Division 2 Championship.   United have been the best team all season in this league and will do well in Division One next season.    They beat Skyvalley Rovers 5-1 and are eight points clear with just one game left to play. Chris Collins scored two and Joe O’Flanagan, Christopher Dunne and Derek Conway scored one each. Laurencetown 0  Lisanmult Celtic 0 Lisnamult Celtic are in second place following a 0-0 draw away to Laurencetown. Casey Ford Division Three Cam Celtic 1 Ballymoe 1  Cam Celtic drew 1-1 with Ballymoe F.C. Mark Hanley for the home side and Billy Kelly for Ballymoe scored the goals. St. Johns Athletic 2 K.C Celtic 2 St. Johns Athletic and K.C. Celtic drew 2-2 in Lecarrow.  Ronan Gately and Trevor Brennan gave the home side the lead on two occasions but Shane Naughton and James Murphy replied for the Kilconnell side. Compiled by Dave Dibble and Vincent Brookes