Ballinasloe to face Castlerea in final

Roscommon & District League round-up  Ballinasloe Town are through to the G&H sponsored Roscommon & District league Challenge Cup final following a 3-1 win over fellow premier Division side Heatmerchants at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. Heatmerchants played with the wind advantage but were a goal down after nine minutes of play. Liam Lynch received a pass from Mark Duffy and rounded the Heatmerchants ‘keeper Chris Doran before rolling the ball into an empty net.    The Athlone-based Heatmerchants were soon on level terms as Serge disposed Garry Egan before literally bursting the net.   Both teams had chances but it was Ballinasloe Town who took the lead with fifteen minutes left to play. Robbie Brooks volleyed the ball to the Heatmerchants net from all of thirty yards.      Heatmerchants had a player sent off for dissent shortly afterwards and Patrick Loughnane headed a third goal for Ballinasloe with seven minutes left to play.    Ballinasloe Town will play old rivals Castlerea Celtic on the 20 th of May in this season’s final.    Dysart won the Denis McCarthy sponsored Division 1 Cup for the second successive season when they beat Ballinagare 2-1 at Newbridge on Saturday evening. The game went to extra-time before Dysart came out on top. Dysart opened the scoring five minutes before half-time. Robbie Byrne headed a Niall Corbett corner against the crossbar and John Paul Kelly slammed the rebound to the Ballinagare net. With just twelve minutes remaining in normal time Ballinagare forced an equaliser. The game went to extra-time and James Coyne gained possession on the half-way line, advanced on the Ballinagare goal and volleyed to the corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.   Loughglynn Utd. won the Division 3 Cup after beating Ballymoe F.C by a single goal when they played at Glenamaddy on Friday evening. This was a fine sporting game by two teams containing many young players. With sixty-two minutes played Clive Connaughton and Shane McDonald combined to create an opening for Michael Creaton and he scored his first goal of the season for Loughglynn Utd.      Ballymoe created some good chances before the end of the game but the winners’ ‘keeper Jason Horan and Tony Coleman combined to deny them an equaliser.   Cloonfad Utd. retained their place in the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District league thanks to a 3-1 victory over Shiven Rovers in a Promotion play-off game at Glenamaddy on Saturday evening. Cloonfad Utd. took the lead after twenty five minutes of play when Aiden O’Boyle converted a penalty kick after a Shiven Rvs. player handled on the goal-line.   Just before half-time an Aidan O’Boyle free-kick was headed to the Shiven Rvs net by Martin Maguire. Seventeen minutes from the full-time whistle John Burke and Cormack Costello created a chance for David Keavney and he scored with a brilliant volley. The Newbridge side pulled one back near the end but they never looked like getting two more.   The Castleplunkett-based C.P Ajax retained their place in Division 2 next season following their penalty shoot-out win over Glen Celtic. There were no goals scored in normal or extra-time but in the resultant penalty shoot out C.P Ajax won 5-4.   Skyvalley Rovers Under 12 side were unlucky to be beaten 2-1 by the Galway City side Mervue Utd. in the Connacht Shield final. In a game that was played in Castlebar Ethan Keogh scored a splendid goal after fifteen minutes of play and Mervue equalised just after half-time. The Galway side got the winner in the last minute of the game but Skyvalley Rvs had some consolation when Connor Glynn received the man of the match award.