Advantage Tremane!

People review: Last weekend’s senior hurling championship games HURLING ROUND-UP with Seamus Duke  Tremane 1-7 Roscommon Gaels 0-9 This was dour but competitive game but that won’t bother Tremane who scored their first significant championship win in a number of years against last year’s semi-finalists Roscommon Gaels at Hyde Park.    The Gaels played with the aid of the strong breeze in the first half but they shot ten wides during that period as their forwards misfired in front of goal. Michael Keaveney, who usually plays in defence, played in the attack and it paid off for Tremane as he scored three first-half points and that added to a Michael Blighe goal on the call of half-time left Tremane up by 1-3 to 0-5. Roscommon Gaels’ points came from Paul Lennon, Gary Waldron, Liam Casey (2) and Shane Naughton.   The sides shared four points in the third quarter as Tremane hung on. Keaveney extended the lead to two with a long-range free with ten minutes to go. Gaels sub Davy Waldron scored a point to reduce the margin to one again. Aidan Purcell grabbed another Tremane point in injury-time before Liam Casey’s shot for a goal from a 20-metre free was cleared and Gary Waldron got another point for the Gaels in injury-time but it was too little too late. Tremane: B McGarry; M Melia, B Haughey, M Lynch; J Blighe, M Healy, C Melia; S Melia, A Kelly; A Purcell (0-1), J Kellehan, M Keaveney (0-5); P Kellehan, M Blighe (1-0), F Carr (0-1). Subs: B Keenan, P Lynch, A Daly, D Healy. Roscommon Gaels: M Kelly; D Clogher, E Browne, P Nolan; J Hynes, K Doolin, J Maloney; S Naughton (0-2), J Nolan (0-1); G Clogher, J Durkin, L Casey (0-2); G Waldron (0-2), H Flanagan, P Lennon (0-1). Subs: D Waldron (0-1), G Durkin. Referee: T Killion.  Four Roads 0-14  Athleague 1-7 Four Roads put down an early marker for championship 2008 when they defeated the defending champions Athleague by four points however Athleague will point to the fact that they were without a number of players through injury.  This win is probably more important for Four Roads than Athleague at this early stage of the year.   Four Roads will be more than happy with the performance of their attack, which notched up 11 points, mostly from play over the course of the game.  The return of the influentual Ronnie Kennedy will have pleased the Four Roads selectors and he played very well, scoring three points.   For Athleague Mervyn Connaughton was once again the main man scoring with 1-5 and he is slowly returning to full fitness which is good news for Athleague. With both sides tentative early on, the scoring was low and when David Dolan scored an injury-time point at the end of the first half, it gave Four Roads a narrow 0-5 to 0-4 advantage at half-time.    Four Roads had the aid of the breeze in the second half and after the sides shared a point apiece but then Four Roads really opened up and they scored six points without reply.  However in fairness to Athleague they never stopped trying and Connaighton steadied the ship with a point and then a goal in the 23rd minute. When Niall Connolly got a point after 25 minutes there was only three points in it.  However Four Roads added two further points in injury time and Mervyn Connaughton’s remaining point did not affect the final result. Four Roads: P Mulry; J Donnelly, D Lohan, M McLoughlin; P Kelly, N Cunniffe, S Curley (0-2); L Gately, J Moran (0-1); B Kelly (0-2), R Kennedy (0-3), D Dolan (0-3); J Coyne, R Mulry (0-1), K Waldron (0-1). Subs: P Tiernan (0-1), B Mannion, F Grehan, D Naughton. Athleague: D Connell; J Quinn, C Moran, T Mulligan; P Glennon, N Connolly (0-1), A Cunniffe; D Delaney, J Connolly; M Connaughton (1-5), T Hickey, I Connaughton; J Glennon, J Fallon (0-1), S McGeeney. Subs ET Murray, T Connaughton, F Farrell. Referee: B McDermott.  Padraig Pearses 2-13 Oran 1-8 Padraig Pearses swept past Oran after a very strong first-half performance laid the foundations for a very good win. Oran did make a second half comeback but Pearses were the deserved winners.   Shane Sweeney got Pearses’ first goal aftert 13 minutes and then in the 16th minute Dara Mulvey grabbed their second goal and by half-time they led by nine points. The margin grew to twelve early in the second half before Oran woke up and started to play.   A point from Colm Kelly and a goal from Michael Dwyer suggested an Oran comeback but late points from Aidan Sweeney and Dara Mulvey saw Pearses home with an impressive win. Padraig Pearses: P Dolan; A Sweeney, R Donoghue, C Kelly; M Mulvey, A Loughnane, K Glynn; D Loughnane (0-1), A Sweeney; M Donoghue, O Dolan (0-1), S Sweeney (1-2); P Galvin, D Mulvey (1-7), T Sweeney (0-1). Subs: l Flynn, A Sweeney, C Sweeney. Oran: E Featherstone; P Crehan, D Kenny, E Morris; J Carty, D Varley, J Crehan; T Crowley, G Fallon (0-4); B Crehan, F Quine, D Beirne; K Carty, C Kelly (0-2), M Dwyer (1-2). Subs: J Lawless, A Hannon, J Cassidy, M Hoban, C Mahon. Referee: A Flaherty.